Solo acts need subs too!

NYMorningstar

Recording Modus Operandi
I've been fortunate enough to be able to add a sub to my PA system which I use to practice doing solo acoustic guitar gigs. My system sounds awesome but when I go do gigs on other PA's without subs, I'm now having a problem with frequency response in my vocals and guitar. There are gaps in the sound without the subs and it's frustrating to say the least. Does anyone else notice this and what's your solution e.g. do you bring a sub with you or your own PA?

Would you not have to adjust your mix based on the system? Subs would require more attention to the lower end (more roll off for example so you don't rumble), then when you don't have a sub, less roll off to beef up the lower end. Seems like it is a matter of mixing to the system and the room, not just one sizer fits all.

Did I miss something?

If you're doing solo acoustic guitar gigs, I suspect your sub is making up for the lack of low end on your main speakers? It would help us to know exactly what you've got. Low E on an acoustic is around 85Hz, I think, and if your voice goes deeper than that ....

Bringing a sub of your own, or a whole PA system, to places that have their own systems (and presumably a sound man) is not going to make any friends and seems like a lot of extra work you are not getting paid for.

I am discovering that there are an increasing number of solo acoustic acts that are going for a big sound. There's a lot of percussive playing, and they want that sub to give that deep kick to their percussion.

One guy doing the rounds at the moment is Daniel Champagne:

I am discovering that there are an increasing number of solo acoustic acts that are going for a big sound. There's a lot of percussive playing, and they want that sub to give that deep kick to their percussion.

One guy doing the rounds at the moment is Daniel Champagne:
wow ....... that's about the least interesting piece of music i've heard in quite a while! :D

he definitely has some chops though ...... but he makes me really not care

OP, what's your draw? Is it enough to justify a bigger, more expensive PA that takes more time to set up? If yes then you can stipulate things like a sub, if no then deal.

Back