Smart phone vocal monitoring!

codedpixel

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone on here has any use for a vocal monitor app on their phone? I'm planning on releasing a free, ad supported version.

But just gauging interest right now and seeing if it is something singers would want to use.

I'd be happy to let anyone on here have a copy once the beta comes out!

Last edited:
That sounds like one of those ideas that's so brilliant and obvious that I wonder why it doesn't already exist?

I guess, the question is how you would set up the hardware chain? Would it be a monitor out from the board to Phone A bluetooth-synced to phone B in the singer's pocket (and the subsequent headphone jack)?

I am intrigued.

This is borderline spam, but I'm going to let it go because I am interested too. Not so much for using it, but to see how you plan to implement it.

Talk about development of the software and usage, but do not mention marketing, advertising, pricing, etc.

Oh shoot! I'm noticing that it was three days since the OP before I responded, and the dude still only has one post.

Sorry! I shouldn't have fed the drive-byes.

Oh shoot! I'm noticing that it was three days since the OP before I responded, and the dude still only has one post.

Sorry! I shouldn't have fed the drive-byes.

I kept checking back looking for replies, I was refreshing it like crazy for a couple of days. For some reason, I didn't get an email when either of you replied, sorry. (Edit: I've realized I wasn't set to automatically subscribe to threads. Just changed that and subbed here). For what it's worth, I've been wanting to join some vocal forums for some time. So i'll probably become fairly regular on here. Thx for the vote of confidence though ;)

---------- Update ----------

Thanks!! :D

Last edited:
This is borderline spam, but I'm going to let it go because I am interested too. Not so much for using it, but to see how you plan to implement it.

Talk about development of the software and usage, but do not mention marketing, advertising, pricing, etc.

Thanks for allowing it to stay. I appreciate that. You know, it really is hard to talk to the public about an idea, especially an area I am very passionate about. I sing every day wherever and whenever I can, and I would love to be a regular member here if you'd have me.

I'm making the app because I couldn't find it in an app store, at least in any capacity taht I could use while practising singing on the go. My wife and I are working hard on development, advertising, marketing and deciding on pricing.

Right now I'm doing the hard thing where you reach out to people who might have a use for such a thing, and seeing if there is any interest. So again, really appreciate you allowing the discussion.

I'd love to give you guys a copy to try out once I have posted it in the app store (Android is going up first, followed by Windows Store, followed by iPhone because, well, Apple is slow at approving things).

The app will be a paid app, but i'll figure out a way to give away some copies for free to anyone who takes an interest or would like to participate.

I'm hestitant to post anything more than this because I don't, truly don't, want to be seen as someone just 'trying to sell something'. PM me if you'd like to learn more about it, hows that sound? :)

Now I'm gonna go take a look around here. Cheers and thanks again.

Matt

That sounds like one of those ideas that's so brilliant and obvious that I wonder why it doesn't already exist?

I guess, the question is how you would set up the hardware chain? Would it be a monitor out from the board to Phone A bluetooth-synced to phone B in the singer's pocket (and the subsequent headphone jack)?

I am intrigued.

It's very simple right now. Plug in any pair of headphones, turn it on, and it'll use the phone's microphone (or the microphone in your headset if you'd like) to loop what it hears into your ear.

I am planning on making this thing work with bluetooth, because I want anyone with a phone and some sort of mic/headset to be able to take advantage of it. Needs to be simple.

The problem with smart phones is that there is always going to be a bit of a delay with audio looping. This is why testing is extremely necessary. My Samsung Galaxy S4 actually runs it pretty well right now.

One idea is to pair the software with an optional hardware controller that reduces the lag.

PS. Love the idea of having it sync with other phones and connect to the board. That would rock.

Last edited:
It's very simple right now. Plug in any pair of headphones, turn it on, and it'll use the phone's microphone (or the microphone in your headset if you'd like) to loop what it hears into your ear.
For some reason, I thought it was going to be some kind of connected in-ear monitor system for live shows. WiFi all mixer channels to each performer in the band through their phone, let them adjust the monitor mix to their own taste. Now THAT would be cool. :thumbs up:

For some reason, I thought it was going to be some kind of connected in-ear monitor system for live shows. WiFi all mixer channels to each performer in the band through their phone, let them adjust the monitor mix to their own taste. Now THAT would be cool. :thumbs up:

That would be frieking awesome. I'd love to build that!

PS I know this is off topic, but can I request a name change just to Matt Price? I'd rather just be me on here if you know what I mean.

PS I know this is off topic, but can I request a name change just to Matt Price? I'd rather just be me on here if you know what I mean.

Well get crackin on that.

As for the name change, you'd have to ask the admins, but they won't respond right away. Vacation and such.

Thx for the vote of confidence though ;)
Sorry. We get a lot of people who show up, post once about their project, and then never come back. It's hard not to be sarcastic to posts that start off looking like that.

I'm a little confused. What does "vocal monitor" mean in this context then? I assumed that it was a live sound monitor (i.e. in-ears), but that MintLeaf app and your description make it seem more like a practice tool.

Sorry. We get a lot of people who show up, post once about their project, and then never come back. It's hard not to be sarcastic to posts that start off looking like that.

I'm a little confused. What does "vocal monitor" mean in this context then? I assumed that it was a live sound monitor (i.e. in-ears), but that MintLeaf app and your description make it seem more like a practice tool.

Oh no worries. I'm an active member on other forums, so I know how hard it is to kind of be the new guy. Comes with the territory :D Sucks being a regular as well and getting those annoying posts where someone just wants you to do something 'for them' ya know?

Yes, more of a practise app! This might sound goofy, but it's true. I'm in the Sooke Philharmonic Chorus, and I used to commute like 10 hours a week. I'd get the backing tracks to Mozart or Bach and play them in my car, but that's like the worst place to be practising, so I'd be over singing and off-pitch, etc.

I got frustrated and started thinking about how I could improve the situation, and the idea of singing and hearing what I sound like just made sense. So it is definitely a singing practise aid or companion at this point, and it is intended to help prevent vocal chord damage and strain.

I find it useful, but I am super curious if any one else would use it. I'm going to be adding some VST-style effects to it as well, like reverb, that play life while you sing. I wanna make it fun to use as well.

In any case, main motivator behind this project is that I wanna practise making mobile apps, and it seemed like a great guinea pig was something I was obsessed with already :P

Yo peeps. So the Android version 1.0 has shipped. Feel free to PM me if you'd like a promo code to get a free copy as I promised. Anyways, thanks again for your support. See you around the forums!

Can have a look here (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.codedpixel.cpvocalslive)

Again please don't buy it. (I mean if you really want to, go ahead haha) Not from here anyways. I'm not here to sell you anything. I'm genuinely interested in your feedback on whether (likely ameteur) vocalists would find this useful for practising singing or even monitoring yourself while you record (although I find DAW's with some sort of live VST do well enough with this). My most common use case is rooms with bad acoustics, areas where your confidence in warming up is low. This helps me with my breathing and hearing the sounds I'm making in those places.

Thanks again

With new crop of rack mounted mixers (like the Behringer XR18, which I have or the Mackie DL16 R, etc) they are all setup for wireless communication. I just bought the XR18 and use my iPad as the main control surface. I also hook up a laptop that also works as a controls surface and an audio interface. Through the router, you can assign permissions to allow certain phones (oddly enough, I don't think iPhone has an app yet) that will allow them to control the volumes and effects of their own monitor (up to like 6 or 8 separate devices). I haven't done this yet but I'm going to look into it. Doing my first gig and multi track session with this unit this weekend.

Yeah, I saw your comments in the purchase thread about the Behringer. It looks cool and a good price for what it does. If i ever go back to gigging, it will be on the list of things to buy.

Yeah, I saw your comments in the purchase thread about the Behringer. It looks cool and a good price for what it does. If i ever go back to gigging, it will be on the list of things to buy.

I have some promo codes, it's free for anyone on this site for the time being.

It really is a vocal practising tool. Can be used to listen to yourself speaking or singing. I've renamed it "Vocal Monitor", just released a hotfix addressing some issues with Android Marshmallow. Going to be working on iOS version soon, but currently runs on just over 3000 android devices.

Here's the store link if anyones interested on reading about the updates:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.codedpixel.cpvocalslive

PS. Please PM me for a promo code entitling you to 1 free copy (Can be shared within a family)

Cheers everyone,

Matt

Back