Recording Multitrack from a Live Mixer

jwilliams413

I'm looking do some multitrack recording of some gigs with Logic Pro X on my Macbook Pro through a live mixer. Never attempted this before, so I have no idea how to do it. I don't have access to the mixer right now, but it's a Behringer pmp 4000 euro power 22 Channel: Behringer: EUROPOWER PMP4000

I also have the previous version of this tascam interface which is basically the same: TASCAM US-16x08 | Sweetwater.com

I'm not looking to just get a stereo mix, but a full multitrack mix into Logic that I can mix later. Does anyone know if that's possible from just the Behringer or do I need to get the Tascam interface involved too?

Thanks,
Jeff

I'm assuming the channel strips have direct outs. Can't get a picture or spec in a hurry to see, but it should. Run from the direct outs into your audio interface (you'll need lots of patch cables) The 1800 (I'm assuming again) should take those in and let you record up to 14 tracks. The direct outs will not (should not) affect what goes on in the mixer.

If you have to use the channel inserts, see THIS ARTICLE.

The Tascam only has 8 line inputs. How many channels are you using on the Behr (it's only 16 channel, not 22)?

Great article, thanks for sharing. I tried the 'one click' technique with a TRS to TRS cable and I didn't get any signal to my Tascam US-1800 interface. Does it have to be a TS cable? If so, I was thinking about picking up this snake: Hosa CPP802 - 2 Meter | Sweetwater.com

Just don't want to buy it to only find out it still doesn't work.

It's possible a TRS won't work with the one-click method. Using TS cables ought to work. But one-click is unreliable anyway and there are better ways to get it done.

The simplest improvement is to use spacers on your TS ends. Make them out of 1/4" ID fuel hose cut to 1/4" lengths. That will prevent the TS plugs from being inserted past the one-click position.

A better improvement is to replace the TS ends of you patch cables with TRS ends, tip and ring of the TRS at the mixer end connected to tip of the TS at the recorder end. Then you can put the plug all the way into the insert without interrupting the signal path in the mixer.

The absolute best way is to use XLR splitters and send mic level signal to your interface.

Back