Is it possbile to achieve this live sound these days?

Kurkkumopo

What i'm talking about is the live sound of the late 80's and early 90's.

Examples:

For some reason the live sound these days definitely doesn't sound the same and i might sound ignorant when i ask this, but are the line arrays and IEM to blame? Does a live sound like in the examples i gave require Side fill speakers and floor wedges instead?

Not sure what you are after. If it's the drum sound, you just need to put way too much reverb on the snare. That is something that has fallen out of favor in the last 15 years.

Not sure what you are after. If it's the drum sound, you just need to put way too much reverb on the snare. That is something that has fallen out of favor in the last 15 years.

It's hard to explain, but if you look at this clip:

The kick drum for example seems to be more silent and yeah the snare doesn't have reverb in it obviously. Also the guitar seems to drown in the mix and not pierce through the mix like in the first clip that i posted. All in all the mix sounds way more dry, sterile and thin to me.

And i don't myself have any gear. I was just folding this topic in my mind that if i will one day do gigs that is it even possible to these days for clubs to get a sound like in the older clip.

Hopefully i'm not in the wrong board. :-D

The main sound difference that I hear is the lack of reverb/effects and the second camcorder had a much better mic. It also doesn't seem to have as much autogain.

Any other difference is just the soundguy deciding not to have the guitar up so loud. Compensating for the different mics that these were recorded through, the drums both probably sounded the same when you were standing in the room.

BTW, I see wedge monitors, so that isn't a difference.

The main differences are just the mixes. There aren't that many people that mix bands the way they did 25 years ago. Even the people who used to mix bands 25 years ago don't do it anymore. (with digital boards and line arrays, it would actually be easier)

I wouldn't read too much into that clip. I kinda though the MICs pattern wasn't "There" - so to speak

The main sound difference that I hear is the lack of reverb/effects and the second camcorder had a much better mic. It also doesn't seem to have as much autogain.

Any other difference is just the soundguy deciding not to have the guitar up so loud. Compensating for the different mics that these were recorded through, the drums both probably sounded the same when you were standing in the room.

BTW, I see wedge monitors, so that isn't a difference.

The main differences are just the mixes. There aren't that many people that mix bands the way they did 25 years ago. Even the people who used to mix bands 25 years ago don't do it anymore. (with digital boards and line arrays, it would actually be easier)

Yeah and the guitarist seems to use a dual or triple rectifier which really is not the best possible amp for that kind of music imo. But good to know that the sound is not dependent on the gear that they're using.

Also i agree that the drums sounds a lot the same minus the reverb of course, especially the kick has that nice trigger'ish sound in it.

Well, that clarifies it for me so i don't need to worry about this anymore, thanks guys!

Back