Old Australian PTM power amplifiers

robertrichards

Hi all, I am trying to find out some information on an old PTM black face 500w a side in 8 ohms power amplifier I have. I have scoured the internet and can find nothing...zilch.
Its very cool and I have had it for many years. I have only ever had very minor issues, a fuse here and there and a good clean up...that's it. I have used it consistently in various combinations and have found it sits beautifully for warmish mids and highs. It also can go down to a 4ohm load merely by plugging in other speakers in the back. I just thought it might be time to find out some info about it since I basically know nothing about where it comes from history wise. It has two attenuators at the front with a very modest line of red LED's at the front that move like "night rider eye" in a linear fashion (never really been able to decipher what they are actually indicating since they react to the signal but have no measurement marks). Anyway, with the fast knowledge you guys hold surely someone knows the company's history? cheers

Last edited:

Thank you mixsit but it is definitely not the PTM home theatre products found on the internet. This is a heavy duty, dual chan
nel and very heavy old school power amp and I very strongly believe it was manufactured in Australia. I imagine that the company either went under or changed their name or perhaps even the PTM logo was not part of the company's namesake...but I am only guessing. I very much appreciate your input though mate :)

What I have found over the years is that the old small factory Australian power amps worked really well, the Jands J600 springs to mind I used to own 4 off these, designed by Bruce Jackson, who was the J in Jands. They were usually hand made in a factory unit by a team of dedicated electronics sound guys.I can't remember who owned PTM electronics but it was a name probably made up from the names of the partners, I will do some research.

Oh the reason I stopped using the J600's was the weight LOL, my first J600 was bought in 1978 and it was still running strong when I sold it 2 years ago, also this old gear could easily be repaired.

Alan.

Back