Noise When Hooking Up Certain Pieces of Gear

ibleedburgundy

The Anti-Lambo
I have a question about noise and interference.

Background: I'm trying to record my band live. My original plan was to have my keyboard player run line outs to the PA and Audient ASP008 simultaneously. If we plug him into the PA (Mackie 1604 VLZ ---> a pair of E/V ETX 35Ps) there is no problem. But then when I plug him into the Audient at the same time I get a tremendous amount of buzz out of the PA. This happens even if the Audient is turned off. So then I started running a line out the back of the Mackie - a bus out to the Audient. Problem solved. Sort of. Running the keys through the Mackie and then into the Audient is less optimal than running the keys directly into the Audient. There is slightly more hiss. It's not unbearable, I can live with it, but I'd prefer not to. I'm basically running it through two preamps at that point am I not?

So my question is this: What is causing the buzz on the PA when the Keyboard is hooked up to the PA and the Audient at the same time? Is there some sort of thing I can put in the circuit to prevent that?

There's a whole bunch of things it could be, but the first thing to look at is power. Is any of the gear on different circuits, especially ones that go to different breaker boxes?

The next thing to look at is balanced vs. unbalanced. Is there any place in the signal chain where you're connecting balanced to unbalanced or the reverse?

Definitely not different boxes, but might be different circuits. I'll try to alter that.

I am also using unbalanced cables, 20 footers. So having read up on it I am seeing that could be a problem.

The usual process for recording live band is a mic splitter: ttp://www.orchid-electronics.co.uk/micsplit.htm

You could run keyboard via DI boxes to the Audient. The Behringer D120 is a bit noisy for guitars but should be a cost effective solution for keys at their higher level and you get two channels per box.

Balance? Yeah, you can often get away with a 20foot unbalanced run at home, rarely out in the Big Dirty World!

Dave.

The usual process for recording live band is a mic splitter: Microphone Splitter

Fixed the link for you. I'm not sure transformers are really all that helpful unless that split goes to a location using different power. If they're good transformers (of which I'm not convinced) then it won't hurt to have them, but they do add to the price. I've never had a problem using my non-isolated split inside a venue with my record rig connected to stage power.

Fixed the link for you. I'm not sure transformers are really all that helpful unless that split goes to a location using different power. If they're good transformers (of which I'm not convinced) then it won't hurt to have them, but they do add to the price. I've never had a problem using my non-isolated split inside a venue with my record rig connected to stage power.

Thanks BSG. Those transformers can be expected to be of excellent quality. Orchid have a great rep' over here.

I guess it depends upon individual circumstances but mic splitters are a very common way to get a clean, pre-fade, un-f'kd about multitrack signal off a stage.

Dave.

Back