Need some advice on performance rights before first gig! NEWBIE ALERT!!

jacobanthony

Hiya guys,

It's me again!

As you might have read in my introduction, I help to run a show choir. As you can imagine, our repertoire is made up of covers of popular songs sort of like Glee. For some of the songs we use our own arrangements and the others are performed as per the original arrangement. Also some of the songs are performed using backing tracks, others accompanied by either a guitarist or a pianist.

Just to complicate things further, we also do one or two mashups.

Now my question is how do we obtain the right to perform these songs in concert?

Are the rules the same for those songs we have arranged ourselves / mashed up, as those that we sing as per the original arrangement?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Jacob

Last edited:
As far as I know, you can perform any song without an issue. Recording the material for sale however, will be an issue. But what the hell do I know.......

And hello to you Jacob. :)

You can't get in trouble for that man. Play away and enjoy. And btw, don't suck! Your crowd wants to hear their favorite songs done well! LOL! I'm razzin ya man. Have many good gigs. :D

If you'll send me $100 in used notes I'll grant you permission to play anything from the modern pop/rock ouevre...:cool:

Now that's a hell of a deal! :eek: :laughings:

Knock yerself out...

The venue(s) you perform in are supposed to have blanket licenses from ASCAP, BMI, & SESAC, the performing rights organizations that deal with this matter.

As far as I know, you can perform any song without an issue. Recording the material for sale however, will be an issue. But what the hell do I know.......

And hello to you Jacob. :)

Not so fast.

IF you are purchasing one copy of the sheet music per choir member and accompianist,you are okay- a license to perform live is included in the purchase price. Copying the music is NOT okay, unless you have ordered and paid for the music and enter into rehearsal while waiting for it to arrive, but you must destroy the copies as soon as the sheet music arrives.

The license issued does NOT include permission for recording- even recording for free distribution. Posting on-line (even here) is in violation of copyright laws, unless you have paid for a recording license.

My choir director is a seasoned professional, and holds a PhD in her field- she is very mindful of her reputation among her peers and music publishers- as you should be, too, jacobanthony.

Break a leg.

Back