Live Vocal Processing - Need Help

ibleedburgundy

The Anti-Lambo
I know very little about live sound let alone live vocal processing, so any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

I have two EV ETX35s (powered 3 way speakers). I am happy with them, they are super loud and sound good. Right now I am running sound into them with a Mackie 1604 VLZ. It's mostly for keyboards but I also run two guitars and bass through them to help the blend in the room. We play in my basement. The room is 16 x 35 with 9 foot ceilings.

I have no effects on the vocals. They sound okay but I'd like them to sound the way they do on our recordings. On the most recent recording I used a fairly complex series of plug-ins:

Track 1:

Comp
DeEss
EQ
Exciter
Comp
EQ

And track 2 which was a double of track 1:

Delay
Comp
DeEss
EQ
Exciter

Generally keep track 2 6-8 DBs lower than track 1 and pan them moderately.

^^^This is all for one lead vocalist. I realize this sounds excessive but the result was better than anything I've done before (can be heard in the mix clinic).

Ideally, I'd like to do that same thing live, but in this case I am not wiling to pay a ton of money to get that done. What would be the easiest most reliable way to get this accomplished? I was looking at various Lexicon processors but they appear to only be able to have 2 effects at once, and I'm not trying to buy 4-6 of those things.

What I'd really like is an outboard processes that is cheaper than an eventide, and works similarly to an AXE-FX - that is to say you can run several effects and choose which series they go in and set parameters in very specific ways. I am not interested in harmonizing either (the demos sound like ass anyway). TC Helicon seems to focus on that, I have no idea why. Singers who know how to sing are infinitely better than computer harmonies IMO.

There has to be a better way that I am not thinking of. Maybe I should be using Logic Pro X MainStage 3 and running it through my laptop? I already use logic. I was trying to keep my laptop out of this because then if we play out somewhere I'd need my interface and preamps in a rack to make that work and I'm not trying to lug that stuff around town.

What is everyone else doing for live vocal processing?

Compression of vocals in stage monitors tends to exacerbate feedback problems. Since it reduces the gain of the louder parts you will need to add gain, using the make up gain or otherwise. When your singing is below the threshold there is no gain reduction but the make up gain is still in effect. Also, compression on live vocals can cause singers to strain their voices as they try to get the expected volume against the action of the compressor.

I'd be willing to bet an exciter would also worsen feedback.

I've mixed hundreds of shows, perhaps thousands of acts. I've never used an exciter or de-esser live. For the most part on a vocal it's HPF, low shelf cut to offset proximity effect, channel eq as needed, compressor set up as a soft limiter.

Wouldn't a simple interface like the presonus work for live work? No pre-amps and it is USB powered.

Thanks! No reverb?

Generally no reverb in the monitors because it also increases the risk of feedback. All of this really depends on how loud you sing and the specifics of the PA setup. A really loud singer needs less gain to begin with so you can get away with more compression and reverb in the monitors. A really dead room that isn't as prone to feedback will let you do more than a reverberant room.

I am not interested in harmonizing either (the demos sound like ass anyway). TC Helicon seems to focus on that, I have no idea why.

The TC voice harmony GTX does target the harmony market, but you can turn that function off. It has a means to apply EQ, compression and reverb. I'm not sure if it gives you the ability to adjust the compressor or not. You can also add in the harmony at a very low level to enhance the vocal. Buy it, experiment, take it back if you don't like it. Hmm, maybe buy all of the vocal processors and try them out. Return those you don't want.

Wouldn't a simple interface like the presonus work for live work? No pre-amps and it is USB powered.
This. Laptop, interface, all the same plugs you used in the recording.*. If your DAW doesn't suck and you tried hard enough you could have most of the processing only sent to the mains and keep the monitors relatively clean and dry for feedback reasons.

*If any of those plugs use lookahead or otherwise introduce latency, you'll probably need to adjust/compromise a little.

The TC voice harmony GTX does target the harmony market, but you can turn that function off. It has a means to apply EQ, compression and reverb. I'm not sure if it gives you the ability to adjust the compressor or not. You can also add in the harmony at a very low level to enhance the vocal. Buy it, experiment, take it back if you don't like it. Hmm, maybe buy all of the vocal processors and try them out. Return those you don't want.
I've got the GTX and the EQ and compression are pretty limited for tweaking (see below), but the 'Adaptive tone' feature does work fairly well make adjustments per what it hears coming into it. The Voicelive Play is about the same box minus an input for an instrument, but does have an 1/8" AUX input that can drive harmonies if wanted. For the VL Play this about the best price I've seen > https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1027137-REG/tc_helicon_996356005_voicelive_play_pedal.html
A used TCH Voicetone Create XT might be a cheaper option, has a limited amount of effects, Adaptive tone, but doesn't do doubling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnoCR8aVUFE

Attachments

• tch play.jpg
    tch play.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 18
Back