Bad Gigs. What works for you?

Hecklers can be the worst!

You have to always have a good come back in your back pocket to keep them at bay.
or play well enough that you don't have any.
I can't think of the last time I've had a heckler ...... maybe 25-30 years ago?

Most of the time it's not the quality of the performance so much as the selected material that is being performed.

Most of the time it's not the quality of the performance so much as the selected material that is being performed.
since I do every kind of material except hip-hop, I never have that problem either.

But hecklers aren't a problem if you truly don't give a shit about them.
I can see for very many people who maybe only gig some weekends it might be hard to know what to do ...... but I'm immune ...... no insecurities here nor any time needed to figure out how to handle it ...... if I DID ever have a heckler I'd kick them out pretty damned quick.

But as I said ...... can't really remember having one since my beginner days way back in the caveman times.

AND I still say if you play well enough you won't get any regardless of material.
I DO have some people come up and say they wish I did so and so because they don't like this or that ........ but always respectfully.
I play well enough that I defy anyone to not appreciate that fact even if they don't care for the material.
Pretty much that's how it goes too.

So kids ....... just get good and do what you do ........ don't worry about dumbasses in the audience ....... they're dumbasses.

Yes! One sure fire way to stay one step ahead of them is to have a 200 - 300 song library to choose from.

It's the bands that barley have enough songs to complete a full nights work that get the poop and can't change gears.

yeah ..... my current list is running around 550. There's not many styles that I don't do some of.

I work with a fellow that had lists printed for tables like little drink menus.
Whatever:rolleyes:
lol

Well one thing I DON'T do is give the audience my songlist ...... ever.
I'm not karaoke and even with bands people nowadays have that mentality so I force them to interact with me just like the old days ..... they can come up .... make a request .... if I do it I'll do it. If I don't I'll do something else by that artist or if I don't know anything by that artist I'll do something similar.
I have a freakin' huge and varied list so it's rare I don't know something that they'd like.
But I make them interact with me so we can talk ..... I can make them laugh .... the more we interact the more they really listen and possibly stay and drink and then we have a party going. And they become more likely to come back.
It's all a business decision ...... I want them to have a good time and make the club a little money so I want them in a particular frame of mind.

And though I sing 550 songs ( and play thousands) it's also about who all I'm gigging with.
If it's a solo gig I do have that 550 available ...... with some groups of players we can still manage to do most of those ..... other guys aren't as versatile.
But then they might have songs of their own that I don't do.
But you want to be able to play as many requests as possible ...... people love it when you do regardless of whatever musical niche your music is in.

Nah, when I put my foot down was thinking he'd hand out tamborine -or wirless mic my god!
don't blame ya' ..... gotta keep the audience submissive ..... give 'em a little input and it's all over ..... you can't RUN them off then!
:D

Back