Votes: 30 33.7%
  • About 50/50

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • Mostly covers, a few originals

Votes: 18 20.2%
  • All covers

Votes: 8 9.0%

• Total voters
With very few exceptions I have never played cover songs. It was never about money. I play only to express, or to feed my creative need. I see some really great musicians in cover bands, and some that are way better than me. However, there is a difference between a musician, and an artist. Being one does not make you the other.

Musicians copy

Artist create.

With very few exceptions I have never played cover songs. It was never about money. I play only to express, or to feed my creative need. I see some really great musicians in cover bands, and some that are way better than me. However, there is a difference between a musician, and an artist. Being one does not make you the other.

Musicians copy

Artist create.
Bullshit ...... I'm as much an artist as anyone.
It is not necessary to blindly replicate what others have played to do covers.
I virtually NEVER worry about playing a song like the record outside of using the words and most of the melody. I create every single time I play a song ..... that's why I don't get bored playing covers unlike many of my unimaginative brethren who think you have to play a cover note for note.

Although, to be fair, I do see what you're saying because I've made the point before that a musician that has to read to be able to play is like a typist that has to be dictated to. You certainly wouldn't call the typist an author.
So I suppose a concert violinist wouldn't be an artist since all they do is read and play covers. Put that way it sounds stupid huh?
But the general attitude that I run into around here is if you play covers you're crap. I play covers because I like to eat.
As for the artistic side of it ..... my main goal on my axes is virtuosity and you aquire that regardless of what you play as long as you play.
I have dozens and dozens of originals and I enjoy playing them but truthfully, not any more than I enjoy play any good cover.
for me ... playing is the point.
And if a person doesn't play well ....... maybe they're making art but it's bad art.

I do not believe that if you play covers you are crap. As I stated, I've seen many, many musicians in cover bands that are way better than I can ever hope to be. I never considered myself to be a great musician, and I can't even claim that I could do what some of those cover bands do.
But no, they are not artist. Nor is the concert violinist. Your "author" reference is a good one, and backs this up.

It strikes me funny that every time I make that statement all the guys in cover bands get offended. It simply is what it is. Doesn't make them any less than what they are, which can be some very outstanding musicians. It also, however, doesn't make them something they are not.

Playing a variation of someone else's creation does not make it your creation. It makes you not doing their creation correctly.;)

Bad art? Hmmm...lets look at the list:

Neil Young (great artist, but certainly NOT a great guitar player, or singer)

Jimmy Page (great stuff, but one of the sloppiest players out there)

Peter Frampton (self admittedly can't play half the stuff he writes very well)

Kurt Cobain (great artist, not so great musician)

Alice Cooper (one of my favorite artist, but simply not a very good singer)

Ozzy Osbourne (Grandfather of metal, and rock god to 4 generations, but come on....not a great singer)

This list could get kinda long....

I say again, you don't have to be a great musician to be a great artist.

Last edited:
Playing a variation of someone else's creation does not make it your creation. It makes you not doing their creation correctly.;)
No ..... not anymore than Clapton didn't play Layla correctly when he did the slow version. He simply did it with a new artistic vision. Further ..... remixers actually USE others recordings as samples and that is certainly art and they're not even playing anything.
One person can certainly do someone else's stuff in a different way and have it be art and it is most certainly creative. The fact that you can't see that simply infers a lack of such creativity in you because you are unable to get past your opinion, and it is only your opinion, that it's impossible to be creative while playing covers.
What people specifically hire me for is to improvise which is pure creativity ..... period. Regardless of the song .... an improvised solo isn't a single jot more creative if I wrote the song than if you wrote it. Many of the great jazz artists merely do covers ...... and if you say they're not creating something, then you basically aren't qualified to make that judgement because it is so completely and obviously wrong.
You've made a great sweeping statement that has some merit but not nearly as much as you think. As for getting offended, I couldn't care less what you think about what I do. But you make the big mistake of making far too general and sweeping a statement. I'd just about bet I've written and recorded many times the number of songs you have. You're just closed minded about the cover thing .... your loss and part of why you're not as good a player as you'd like to be.

I say again, you don't have to be a great musician to be a great artist.
hmmm ...... some valid examples .... and a valid point.

Bob, you should learn a bit more about me before you make statements that claim you have written and recorded more songs than I have.

....and I'm sorry, no matter what you do with someone else's song....
....it's still someone elses creation, and not your own.

Most people I know, including myself like to hear cover songs done pretty much like the original.

Bob, you should learn a bit more about me before you make statements that claim you have written and recorded more songs than I have.

....and I'm sorry, no matter what you do with someone else's song....
....it's still someone elses creation, and not your own.
that's your opinion .... mine is just as valid as yours.
And you don't know squat about me ....... you simply have a closed mind. I've seen it in thread after thread.
No one is right but you and no one's opinion has any validity but yours. I've yet to ever see you acknowledge anything of validity to anyones' opinion unless it agrees with yours when you can point to nothing you've done that makes your opinion the arbiter of what's right and wrong.
We'll get together sometime and compare accomplishments.
In the meantime ... just because you say something doesn't make it so and, I'm starting to suspect, most likely means it's bullshit.

And most people in the audience will ooh and ahh over a cool rearrangement of a song. The fact that ya'll don't know that just speaks to your minimal live playing experience.

My minimal live experience? Excuse me while I laugh.

"Thread after thread"? All 2 that we've shared, Bob?

I don't understand why you get so defensive. I've said nothing that attacks you. I only stated that you shouldn't make remarks like "I've written more songs than you" when you know nothing about me. It is an assumption, and may not be a fact.

Also, I am not close minded about the cover thing. I believe I stated that many cover bands I see have outstanding musicians in them. Some of the best musicians I've ever known are in cover bands. However, that does not make them an artist. Create something original....then you are an artist.

That being said...you just said enough to end this, as you simply don't have any idea who I am, and what my experience is. Although I've been out of the game for awhile, I am (was) a "recording artist" with contracts under a major label. I've played in front of more people than can be counted, thousands at a time, and as many as 18,000 at at time.
Without dropping names (because it's just tacky), it's safe to say that I've been around the block, buddy. Sell a few (or a few hundred thousand) albums, then we can talk.

So, in respect to cover bands, I'd say I'm sorry that the truth upsets you...
...but I'm not.

BTW...most people expect to hear covers played like the original recording. A cover band will be judged how good they are by this.

Last edited:
Covers, to cover living expenses. Tried to write originals but time is important when writing good songs. You can't rush into writing great songs. Cover songs are easy if you know your instrument(s) well. In the long run, I think you are better off with originals. Fans recognizes that more than. Covers are good, too, because once you learn a cover song you have already learned a new technique.

Depends on the band

I play in a band that is exclusively a cover band our lead singer/ rhythm guitarist is adamant about doing only covers. Last spring our drummer wrecked his ankle skiing and we had to get a temp drummer to fill in for a month. I started jamming with the temp drummer and another bass player after that and all we do is originals. A short while later our regular bass player wrecked him self mountain biking and we brought in the other bass player to fill in temporarily. Soon our regular drummer will go on vacation and we have gigs scheduled that our temp drummer and bass will play. Simultaneously we are planning an all original show in a private venue with a full light show, fire dancers and local micro-brew sponsorship.

i'd pretty much rather not play music than be in a cover band. at least thats the way it is for me these days. i've done lots of society type gigs playing new york new york in a tuxedo as well as the requisite bar band stuff and at this point i'd rather just work a regular job and write my own music.

i guess maybe if i could only play covers that i like but then i wouldn't get very many gigs. playing music that i don't like makes me feel kind of dirty

It always amazes me how we can turn a simple question into a full-blown argument in the matter of two posts... :rolleyes:

But to answer the question, I write my own songs, but don't perform them live. I don't sing live. I was in bands who were 100% cover bands, and one that was 50/50. The latter was my first band, which broke up because of the deaths of the lead guitarist and drummer.

if you dont have the capacity to play covers and make it artistic, you are a sad excuse for a musician.

At the same time, if you just want to play cover gigs on cruise ships your whole life, well, that is the definition of medocrity to me.

I play covers to make money to fund my original projects and keep my chops up. Logically, in my position, it is the way to go. My shift is working.

Birds singing is music

It's all music and all art...

I was in an all original band for 5 years in the 70's and we starved but we were
"original" great time great music but we were'nt at the right place at the right time and didn't "make it"

The guitarist ( one of the best in the biz ) went on to make side money for the next 30 years in a cover band..

I know when I was in the original band,then local bands like Van Halen were doing nothing but covers and it was ego inflating to know we could pull in just as big of a crowd playing originals.. When the rubber met the road and VH went on to fame fortune I think it could be said they were pretty artistic.

I don't play live much cept church now and most of that is covers.. when I play in my back room I play both original and covers and totally agree with Bob
My not Minah bird renditions with my own style are my creations / interpretations of preexisting tunes.. nobody plays em like me cause they're from my muse not the original artist.

There is a difference between reinventing your own creation, and simply not being able to play someone else's song correctly.

Just about every cover band member says the same thing "people like when we put our own flair on it". However, given the hundreds of people I've talked to in bars they always judge a cover band on "If I can close my eyes, and not be able to tell it's not the original artist...then they are a good cover band".

It's one thing for an original band to put a twist on a cover. However, when it's a cover band....people expect to hear a reproduction of the original recording, and will judge how good a cover band is on that.

That is one reason it can cost up to $150 to see the original artist do the material, but only a $5 cover to see someone copy them.;)

Bob suffers delusions of grandeur. That is why he is so over sensitive about the issue, and sees my point of view as an attack, and why he became such an ass (well that and it seems to be in his nature.:p) If he would change his messy diaper, CAREFULLY re-read this thread, he would understand that since he has written original material...then he would be considered an artist. Instead he acted like someone took his rattle away. I can only hope he reads his music more carefully, as it might make him a better cover player.

Again, this is NOT taking anything away from the skill, and musicianship of anyone that plays in a cover band. I've seen some of the best musicians I've ever encountered playing in cover bands. However, some can not write, and have never written one original lick. Until they do.....they are not artist. They are either good, or bad copy machines.

What it really boils down to is...
...if you are happy doing what you do...why the hell do you give enough of a crap about what I think to throw a temper tantrum, attack anyone personally, flaunt your "experience" as "more than anyone", including the people you know nothing about, and stomp your feet screaming "you haven't done as much as I have!!!"?
Clearly my view stuck a nerve of truth that one does not like to face.

Back