Votes: 30 33.7%
  • About 50/50

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • Mostly covers, a few originals

Votes: 18 20.2%
  • All covers

Votes: 8 9.0%

• Total voters
The best part of playing originals live is ... you can mess them up bad and know one will ever know the difference! ;) :D

:cool:

thought i'd pop in an example of a killer track Eleanor Rigby by ahem the Beatles being covered by a band called Outside Royalty.
I think most of us will have heard it covered a million times , and we instinctively compare it to the original , well you cant with this - its out there on its own really.

I saw these in York ,England as support act and the whole place went mental for their cover .

This sound quality is shady , but hey enjoy or appreciate :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3mPTP8Hx_U

oh and here is Gwen Stefanis BANANA song thing covered by FOALS in Scarborough - sadly i can take the credit for the camera work this time :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HULLMXdX0sE

we play half originals and half covers. Most of the time the audience is surprised to hear a mother & daughter act cover radiohead, fuel, sade/deftones, sia, sublime, gnarls barkley, fiona apple, regina spektor, kings of leon, ben folds, beatles, fleetwood mac, bjork, fink.

We play music for belly dancers and for much of the time we play a lot of the standards, however we rearrange the heck out of them. I have even taken classic Rock and Roll songs like "Paint it Black" by the Stones and re-written it into an Arabic maqam and played it with a maqsoum beat. We weave a lot of things together for shows. We'll never be signed to a major label or play big arenas to thousands in the audience, but we're always working. We do a few very original pieces as well and two of our originals have been covered by other groups.

We play music for belly dancers and for much of the time we play a lot of the standards, however we rearrange the heck out of them. I have even taken classic Rock and Roll songs like "Paint it Black" by the Stones and re-written it into an Arabic maqam and played it with a maqsoum beat. We weave a lot of things together for shows. We'll never be signed to a major label or play big arenas to thousands in the audience, but we're always working. We do a few very original pieces as well and two of our originals have been covered by other groups.

Hey Rimshot ..... thought I'd send you this update of what I did this weekend in Maine with my live sound support company ....
It was a burlesque show at the Merrill theater in Portland and was received very well!
In attendance on stage was the legendary *Tempest Storm* at age 82 she was still hot! But did not perform due to a broken hip recovery period that her doctor said no performing and no exotic clothing removal to music.
She spoke of her life on stage and off including a two year dating period with Elvis.
Along with local talent were such Vegas names as Kitten DeVille and Angie Pontani.
A new film is due to come out depicting her life called *Burlesque* staring Christina Aguilera and Cher.

During rehearsal one did see nudity - but when it came to show time - as with classic burlesque, there was no full nudity.

WHAT A SHOW!!!!!!!

Hey Rimshot ..... thought I'd send you this update of what I did this weekend in Maine with my live sound support company ....
It was a burlesque show at the Merrill theater in Portland and was received very well!
In attendance on stage was the legendary *Tempest Storm* at age 82 she was still hot! But did not perform due to a broken hip recovery period that her doctor said no performing and no exotic clothing removal to music.
She spoke of her life on stage and off including a two year dating period with Elvis.
Along with local talent were such Vegas names as Kitten DeVille and Angie Pontani.
A new film is due to come out depicting her life called *Burlesque* staring Christina Aguilera and Cher.
During rehearsal one did see nudity - but when it came to show time - as with classic burlesque, there was no full nudity.
WHAT A SHOW!!!!!!!

That sounds like a great show. It's very very different from a belly dance show tho.

That sounds like a great show. It's very very different from a belly dance show tho.

True, True I've done years of shows at Smith college in MA with a belly dancing class that is given there. I could never move like that!
I bring helpers with me every so often who are barely in their 20s and you should see their eyes bug out.

Being in a worship band, we do mostly covers of the best praise songs. But we do have about 5 or so originals that we throw in every blue moon.

You are correct! Me and dastrick are getting together and working on an original song tonight. It's -how- you knew that the blue moon was happening tonight that worries me...:eek:

I'm in the big wide open spaces of NH with no big cities near by and my house and barn are atop a huge hill with a 360 panorama view of the night sky there isn't a night that goes by that I'm not looking up.
The full moon of Oct. and Nov. are always so cool coming up over the horizon just after sun set!

There's nothing lamer than cover/tribute bands.

Could not agree more!
My band played with the thought of covering a tune (our way),...
but I haven't played, or even tried to cover a tune by another band in 20+ years of playin'...and
I just don't think I'd even want to. I think it's best to leave the original song, to the original artist.
That's just my opinion. I'd much rather spend the time on my own original tune.

Could not agree more!
My band played with the thought of covering a tune (our way),...
but I haven't played, or even tried to cover a tune by another band in 20+ years of playin'...and
I just don't think I'd even want to. I think it's best to leave the original song, to the original artist.
That's just my opinion. I'd much rather spend the time on my own original tune.

Me too. I hate playing covers live. I don't mind them when just fucking around at practice though.

Me too. I hate playing covers live. I don't mind them when just fucking around at practice though.

But without cover bands, who will fill the bar scene with such favorite songs from Alanis Morisette, 1980's Bon Jovi, and Poison? ;)

Back