Taking it out on the sound guy

It's hit and miss. Bottom feeders is a good term for them. Guys that do sound at the local bar/club level are usually burned out wastoids. They roll out of bed just in time to haul ass to the club to do a halfassed sound check then they vanish for 3 hours until it's time for a band to start. There are a few solid clubs here that have steady sound guys, but many of them have a revolving door of sound guys and most of them are hard to deal with. They're just a bunch of halfassed drunken flunkees. I'm gonna start punching them in the head.

Yeah but then there is nothing worst then a crying burned out wastoid halfassed drunken flunke looking up at you from the floor. :D

Yeah but then there is nothing worst then a crying burned out wastoid halfassed drunken flunke looking up at you from the floor. :D

It might be worth it.

I'm really sick of sound guys thinking they're doing us a favor. Guess what fuckers, I can turn my amp up loud enough to fill your little bar with an ungodly noise. I can drum so loud and ferociously that your customers will leave. You're getting paid, you fucking slack ass goof. Hook the mics up so they don't fall over or off the drums, get the fucking cables out of the way, get it sounding right in our monitors and out front, and then pay attention during the set. You can drink and get turned down by fat bar hags when we're finished.

I'm really sick of sound guys thinking they're doing us a favor. Guess what fuckers, I can turn my amp up loud enough to fill your little bar with an ungodly noise. I can drum so loud and ferociously that your customers will leave. You're getting paid, you fucking slack ass goof. Hook the mics up so they don't fall over or off the drums, get the fucking cables out of the way, get it sounding right in our monitors and out front, and then pay attention during the set. You can drink and get turned down by fat bar hags when we're finished.

You've been around the block, Greg. :D
I hear all of these horror stories from bands all of the time.

You've been around the block, Greg. :D
I hear all of these horror stories from bands all of the time.

Lol. I have for the most part. I started playing gigs when I was like 15-16 years old. Nothing has changed for the better at the local bar/club scene level. In fact, it may be worse now than it ever was. The clubs and bars have all the power now, and the lame fuck sound guys and sleazy basement "promoters" are their lackeys. It used to be that places begged bands to play. Literally begged. You know, back before the internet, a band had to deliver actual physical "press kits" to clubs; a manilla envelope with a group pic, a short write up, and a demo tape. We'd drive around the city and drop them off everywhere. I can't even begin to fathom how many nights I've spent at Kinkos making flyers or how many telephone poles have been defaced with my flyer stapled to it. Gluing a flyer to a shop wall or window? That never happens anymore. Places were appreciative of your efforts because there simply weren't that many bands. The phone would ring off the hook. Now there's too many fucking bands and everyone can go "global" by polluting the internet with their shitty recordings of their shitty music. Equipment is cheap and easy to get. Club owners get bombarded with digital facebook/myspace press kits. And many of them don't even deal with bands anymore. they now use a network of halfassed local dirtbag "promoters". They won't book you unless it's through one of their sleazy "promoters" There are so many fucking fuckers looking to gig that the owners/promoters either don't pay anything, or worse, they make the bands pay. That's fucking insane to me. Paying to play? You're an idiot punkass if you do that. I'd rather never gig again than pay some fucker to play a set. Fuck no. And all that trickles down to the fucking shitty sound guys. They get their cut no matter what the band draws, so they're set and they know it and don't give even a 5% effort.

Pay to play is the worst conceived idea in the entire world of music.

It's fucking absurd. I've never in my life been concerned with making money through music. I learned very early on that my kind of music makes no money. Sure, getting paid is awesome, but it's not my driving factor. Back in my younger days I often opted for the free bar tab over the cash. It's just fun for me. I do love it. But I'm not going to pay one fucking penny to anyone to play a gig. Never.

Clubs don't pay enough to keep good sound guys so you're stuck with the newbies and the losers not good enough to move on. Don't blame the guy doing your sound, blame the club for driving the good ones away.

Clubs don't pay enough to keep good sound guys so you're stuck with the newbies and the losers not good enough to move on. Don't blame the guy doing your sound, blame the club for driving the good ones away.

I do blame the clubs. I just did. But the sound guys are responsible too. I don't show up to gigs with shit gear not knowing how to play. It's not unreasonable to expect the sound guy know how to mic a drum kit.

Pay to play is the worst conceived idea in the entire world of music.

Isn't it just! I was in a band until recently and the other members thought it was a good idea to take on gigs where the promoter says you have to sell 50 tickets at £15 each or you're off the bill and they want £150 up front! Fuck off!!!!!

The last big gig we played we hired a coach to take people with us, ticket buyers. It was a great day out and a great gig but we all ended up £50 out of pocket each, to cover costs. Never again.

Promoters are facebook inviters these days. Lazy wankers that want money for nothing. I'll not be paying any fucker a penny to play. If I don't get anything offered, money or drinks, I won't turn up. Simple.

Whoo! B***ing about venues!

I'm not completely burned out on this nonsense yet, but I do live in Nashville, so it probably won't be long now until I am.

Back