FS: Tape recorders: 3M M-56-8, M-79-4, M-79-2, Ampex AG-440B-2

ofajen

Daddy-O Daddy-O Baby
Yeah, I know, another guy whose first post is gear for sale. Sorry, that's where I'm at! I have some neat recording gear that needs a good home with someone who has more time for it than I. You know the story, kids!

So, among other things, I have some pro tape gear for sale. I'm in central Missouri area. You can send me a PM or email (ofajen@socket.net) to discuss, if you have any interest in any of the gear mentioned here. I can email you pictures, too. I have a lot of parts, some of which i may have neglected to mention, so feel free to ask.

3M decks:

M-56 1" 8 track in solid working condition. I'm asking $800 plus shipping. I've used this machine off and on over the last six years or so and it sounds astounding, as 3M decks usually do. The heads still have a lot of life left. It has the usual assortment of small, niggly defects: some remote lamps are burned out and i broke a switch on the remote (i have spares for all these but haven't made the time to make the fixes). I have many spare audio cards, a spare flywheel, belts, a capstan motor, etc. I have a complete manual for the M-56 series.

M-79 1/2"4 track and 1/4" 2 track, both in solid working condition. I'm asking $450 for the 4-track and $400 for the 2-track. The M-79s came, through a friend in Tulsa, from Oral Roberts University. The 4 track works well, but one audio card is noisy recording at 30 ips ( i have six spare audio cards available for the M-79, so i'm sure i could find another one that works at both speeds ) I have a complete manual for the M-79 series. I also have a nearly complete spare 1/2" M-79 transport with 4-track heads. I'm asking $200 for the spare transport. The M-79 2 track is in superb condition with no known issues. Good life left on all the heads.

also:
Ampex AG -440B 1/4" 2 track in working condition. The 2-track stack was recently checked by JRF and has very little wear at all. I have a manual for the AG-440 B series. I have a fully functional Ampex transport remote for the AG-440. I'm asking $400 for the machine and $150 for the remote. I will sell the headstack only for $200 and each channel of electronics for $100.

I also have MRL calibration tapes (1/2" and 1/4"). Both are IEC1, 15 ips at 355 nWb/m. I'm asking $120 for the 1/2" tape and $60 for the 1/4".

Also, available are at least a dozen reels of unused and slightly used 3M 996 1" tape, six new reels of 1/2" BASF 468 and many reels of 1/4" BASF 911 and AMPEX 456.

Once again, email Otto at ofajen@socket.net

Update on 3M tape machines for sale

ofajen said:
3M decks:

M-56 1" 8 track in solid working condition. I'm asking $800 plus shipping.

M-79 1/2"4 track and 1/4" 2 track, both in solid working condition. I'm asking $450 for the 4-track and $400 for the 2-track. I also have a nearly complete spare 1/2" M-79 transport with 4-track heads. I'm asking $200 for the spare transport. The M-79 2 track is in superb condition with no known issues. Good life left on all the heads.

also:
Ampex AG -440B 1/4" 2 track in working condition. The 2-track stack was recently checked by JRF and has very little wear at all. I have a manual for the AG-440 B series. I have a fully functional Ampex transport remote for the AG-440. I'm asking $400 for the machine and $150 for the remote. I will sell the headstack only for $200 and each channel of electronics for $100.

I also have MRL calibration tapes (1/2" and 1/4"). Both are IEC1, 15 ips at 355 nWb/m. I'm asking $120 for the 1/2" tape and $60 for the 1/4".

Also, available are at least a dozen reels of unused and slightly used 3M 996 1" tape, six new reels of 1/2" BASF 468 and many reels of 1/4" BASF 911 and AMPEX 456.

Once again, email Otto at ofajen@socket.net

By way of update:

The AG-440B stuff is still for sale and unspoken for, as is the M-79 1/2" 4-track.

I have a deposit on the M-56 8 track, so it is sold, assuming the buyer can afford transport. If not, it will come back on the market in a week, though another person will have first refusal rights.

I have someone instate coming to look at the M-79 2-track tomorrow, and it will probably sell.

PM me if you are interested in the 3M 4-track or the Ampex AG-440B.

Thanks,

Otto

Update on Ampex AG-440 & 3M tape machines for sale

Here's the update:

Ampex AG-440B 1/4" 2 track in good working condition is still for sale. The 2-track stack was recently checked by JRF and has very little wear at all. I also have a manual for the AG-440 B series. The mono heads are sold, along with the Bob Starr RTZ eq cards. The plug in mike preamp module for the AG-440 is spoken for. I'm asking $200 for the head stack alone and $400 for the machine. I also have a fully functional Ampex transport remote for the AG-440. I'm asking $150 for the remote.

3M decks:

M-79 1/2" 4 track is still available. Make me a good offer.

M-56 1" 8 track is spoken for, pending final arrangements on transportation. It may come back on the market in a week, but a second buyer has first refusal rights.

M-79 1/4" 2 track sold today and is already gone.

M-23 1/4" 2 track is no longer for sale. With the sale of the M-79-2, I'm keeping this machine.

Send me a PM if you're interested or want to make an offer!

Thanks!

Otto

Back