Wanted to buy: TEAC 4-track Reel to Reel TCA-43 or A-2340

Vito

Wanted to buy: TEAC 4-track Reel to Reel TCA-43 or A-2340 (...or other 4-track)

I need a working 4-track reel to reel that will play tapes at 3.75 ips. The machines I’m most familiar with are TEAC decks, but any other 1/4-inch 4-track would be OK as long as it works.

I need the machine for an ongoing project (digitizing over 1,000 1/4-inch 4-track tapes), all of which were recorded at 3.75 ips. I own a TCA-43 that is in superb working condition because I keep it maintained (lubrication, new belts as needed, cleaning). I’ve been using it for the work so far. However, it would be handy to have a backup, and to set up a second workstation that can be working if I have to service the TCA-43.

For my purposes, I expect that either a TCA-43 or an A-2340 would be the most likely candidates. To my knowledge, the TEAC 4-tracks that use 3.75 ips are the A-2340 and the TCA-43 (with two RA-41 Stereo Record Amplifiers)…although I believe there were some earlier models that offered 4-track playback only (A-2420) or 4-track play/record without Simul-Sync (A-1340). However, those earlier models are apparently very rare.

My preference would be a working machine in good condition, by which I mean good belts, all functions working, and most importantly, heads with low wear. New belts would be a plus, but I can install new belts if needed. However, I would like to know in advance if the machine needs new belts.

My tech skills are good, so if I had to I could buy several machines of the same type and make one good machine out of the lot of them, but I’m really not looking for a fixer-upper project. I’m willing to pay for a good quality machine that’s been serviced and well-maintained, and is guaranteed to work.

Please reply here if you have a machine to sell that fits the description above.

I’m in Southern California, for local pickup purposes. If you're elsewhere, I’ll pay for shipping but please don’t reply if you don’t know how to package a heavy machine for safe shipment.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back