Tascam 58 OB reel to reel. Many upgrades. Ready to roll. . .

Jonk

Hi folks,

I have here a very nice condition Tascam 58 tape machine for sale. The pinnacle of Tascam's 8 track reel to reels. It's had a lot of work done and the last time I aligned it (about 3 weeks ago) I was able to get it flat up to 20K. The transport is perfectly aligned. It's very smooth. Probably the smoothest I've seen from any tape machine.

The good:
Relapped heads by JRF. JRF also aligned the headstack (zenith/wrap/height) and I just aligned the azimuth. So, the heads will last you for a long time. I've probably put a total of 5 hours on them since getting them relapped. (Note that there are blemishes in the pictures of the heads that are actually just reflections. It proved to be very difficult to get close ups without reflections. So I have several versions to give you some idea what the heads look like.)

Cards all have the Jim Williams (of Audio Upgrades) modifications. These include better opamps, upgraded eq caps. A bias modification so you can bias for the newer (hotter) tape like ATR (which is what it's currently biased for) Also the filter caps on the cards are new.

New pinch roller

Comes with remote. This is just the transport remote that includes the basic functions: play/ff/rw/rec/rtz. I modified this remote to be very long.

the bad:
Just the fact that there are no plastic side panels or plastic head cover flap. I bought the machine like this. I've never cared to look for them. But just so you know.

For pics, just visit the gearslutz page. They are handy in that they allow more data to be uploaded: TASCAM 58 OB reel to reel tape machine - Gearslutz.com And here's a youtube video to show functionality: 58movie - YouTube Please let me know if the link doesn't work for some reason.

ph: 503 five four three four two zero two
emai: jonw five four one at yahoo dot com

This thing is heavy. For shipping, you'll need to give me several days to get it sent off as I don't have boxes for it yet. But I've sent a similar tape machine off before and I double box and pack the hell out of things. So, it'll take awhile and will probably cost something like $150 to ship in the US, but I'll do everything I can to get it to you without damage.

I'm looking for $1500 for this machine.

Last edited:
Hi, Jon! Is your Tascam 58 still available? I am interested in adding either a 58 or a Tascam TSR-8 to my personal gear.

Thanks,

Ron

Back