Symetrix 8-ch Compressor

frederic

Symetrix 488 Dynasqueeze

488.JPG

I'm going to type a large blurb because this unit fits a specific need rather than a more generic "anyone would want this" type of role in a recording studio. I'm selling it not because it's broken or damaged, but rather I'm really not using it anymore as my analog/digital hybrid pro-studio is long gone, and my home studio is completely digital. You should see my lightpipe snakes :D

Anyway, this unit was marketed towards studios having analog consoles, with digital recorders whether Adat, tascam, or hard drive based. As you know digital recorders are awesome in clarity, media life, and repeatability, but often don't sound as "warm" as their analog reel to reel brethren. This device, was designed to bridge the gap bring more analog warmth to your tracks recorded on your digital recorder.

This translates to higher average recording levels, increases presence, level matching with consoles and recorders, and the unit has a minimum component signal path which in it's day was "the bomb". Nowadays, there are many comparible units, but they aren't eight channels like the Symetrix 488.

Maximum compression is 38db, the outputs are selectable between -10db and +4db so it works well with pro and consumer grade recording equipment, and all eight compressors are "soft knee". The inputs are balanced TRS and the outputs are unbalanced TS jacks (all our quarter-inch phone jacks if that wasn't obvious).

When I was using this unit constantly, I used it for a different purpose, actually. At the time my pro studio consisted of an 8-bus analog console, and two 24 track analog recorders. This Symetrix unit sat on the outputs of the eight busses, between that console and a small digital mixer, which gave s/pdif out to a CD recorder. This was our studio's attempt to keep the analog warmth as far down the "pipes" as possible, and it worked very well I might add. So I used it more in a mastering environment more than a mixing environment - but it's equally useful in either process.

One feature that I found to be critical - which may or may not interest you - is that the power supply is built in - no wall wart. I hate wall warts, and I always have gone out of my way to avoid them when possible. Instead, it uses an ordinary computer power cord which of course I will include (though it's probably not the original cord - I've moved twice since my pro studio went away).

I don't have the original box, or the orginal manual, however I will gladly print out, email, or make available via FTP to the buyer the PDFs of the manual, the specification sheet, and the two pages of schematics. Yes, that's right, I have the schematics.

488specs.jpg

There are some minor scratches on the top of the unit, all the way in the back, and there is a slight amount of rack rash because when it was installed in my long-gone pro studio whoever mounted it didn't use the plastic washers like they were supposed to. It's clean otherwise.

$400 plus actual shipping from the 07067 zip code, I am in north-central NJ.

Please note that I have always had a ton of problems with PM's for some reason, and I apologize for that. I think it's because I use "Lynx" in text mode under linux rather than Windows... but that's another story. You can email me directly if you are interested: frederic (at) midimonkey (dot) com, I generally read my email every day.

Note: I'm spelling all this out because of the recent "possible fraud" going on with some sellers here and people's fear that everyone selling could be a dirtbag. I've been here since 2000 and have approximately 2300 posts to my name... so hopefully that by itself resolves the "Fred's not a dirtbag seller" fear :D

OT: wow, Linux, you nerd ;) I've tried it and also found a Lynx for windows, it was fast. I used to use Lynx back in the day, when I used winsock on 3.1 and dial up to Unix shell on Panix, back when the web was non-commercial....

cool.

I use Lynx most of the time because I have SSH on my PDA, and this is a reasonably fast way of surfing the web, rather than having my PDA download tons of junk and such. Though Lynx running in text mode doesn't support media files and such, I really don't need that "stuff" on my PDA. Especially while driving :D

So, wanna buy a Symetrix 488? :D

From the looks of it... is that really an 8-channel compressor with one set of controls for all 8? Is there a way to set the levels individually for each channel?

Thanks,
Chris

Hello Chris,

You're perception is correct, it's eight individual compressors, that share the controls - so they are all set the same way, all the time, no matter what.

There are applications where this "feature" or "design" is useful. I used it to bridge the warm analog recording environment and a digital CD mastering environment. I was able to keep a lot of the warmth that way. You could use the device with an analog console, and a digital recorder (heck, even a reel to reel deck... it does have eight compressors... get more on tape!

I'm not a PA guy, but I'd imagine it would be useful there also, if you need to increase your perceived volume yet desire to keep your LF drivers in the enclosures :D.

You can use it with a synth module that has multiple outputs... I have a few modules that have L/R out as well as 1-6, or 1-8, etc.

Is this the compressor everyone here must have to have a good, complete studio? Of course not. But there are applications where this is an extremely useful tool.

I was thinking about this a bit last night and I get it: its not a mixing compressor at, its a recording compressor. The volume of the preamp is the input stage of the whole sytem- turn the pre up for more compression, down for less. That's how you contol each channel's compression. Then mix the recorded tracks later to get the appropriate relative levels.

Cool. How does it sound?

You know how to use it ;-)

*I* think it sounded good... well... more transparent than other compressors. Like I said above, *I* think it's ideal place is between an analog console and the analog ins of an Adat or similar recorder.

Back