sm7b needed

Does anyone ever sell one used? Seriously, may not happen much...

I'd loan you one, but that the only one I have. :)

Funny, I was thinking the same thing.
I bought my 7b new and, thinking about it, it might be the only audio related thing that I've ever bought new! :eek:

---------- Update ----------

oh...except headphones.

I'd loan you one, but that the only one I have. :)

thanks man. It might be awhile until I get to actually use it given that I'm moving rather soon. Much appreciated though.

How do you like it? Paul recommended it for my room treatment scenario and vocal style awhile ago. I'm just now getting to it. :)

I bought my 7b new and, thinking about it, it might be the only audio related thing that I've ever bought new!

Taking your advice. I think it's the right mic for me, given my issues with condenser and singing style (aka poor technique and yelling too much). Seriously though, I have a feeling that's the one for me.

You're moving soon? What's the set up man? I take it you can't put up treatment in the new place either?
I remember recommending the 7b back when your room sound was having an obvious negative effect on your vocal recording but since you moved rooms (and mics?) I'm not hearing that as a problem.
Maybe you're mixing around it pretty well and it's just not as obvious now?

True enough, though, they're very forgiving with regard to dynamic singers and guys who stick to the grill.

There are very few situations where an sm7b would be the wrong mic. It's a pretty safe bet.

You're moving soon? What's the set up man? I take it you can't put up treatment in the new place either?
I remember recommending the 7b back when your room sound was having an obvious negative effect on your vocal recording but since you moved rooms (and mics?) I'm not hearing that as a problem.
Maybe you're mixing around it pretty well and it's just not as obvious now?

True enough, though, they're very forgiving with regard to dynamic singers and guys who stick to the grill.

Either buying now or waiting one more year and renting first. Not sure yet. Some of the places we checked out have basements. I could always come back here to record vocals every other week, when I need to. And no, I actually bought a nice vocal reflector and set up in the basement with 10 blankets hanging from the ceiling around the mic. Like a little cave. :) Seemed to do a decent job, but I do have trouble with harshness on yelling/screaming/louder vocals. Though, the softer ones sound nice. I'm sure I'd be losing some of that.

oh wow, that sounds great man. She's good a great voice too, though, personally, she's at her best when she's higher in her register. Nice mix man.

Ha! Yeah well her diaphragm is the size of my bladder. lol! She has balls for a small person. You noticed that Steeno created the backing tracks for all of this?

But here is the point, even with a low volume level of a female singer, the SM7b still works. Granted the X73i I use has a bunch of clean gain. Not sure that would be so good with a interface with 40 dB preamp gain, but who knows.

40 dB of gain wouldn't be enough. Getting a cloudlifter or another preamp in the chain would be the answer.

I'm going to have issues with gain between this mic and the interface? Phantom power included. Not sure the preamp specs on the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

---------- Update ----------

Ha! Yeah well her diaphragm is the size of my bladder. lol!

sorry, just meant she sounds more comfortable/natural higher up.

The 2i2 has 50db of gain. I thought I read somewhere the SM7B would need something more like 65db... not sure. Maybe sing loud. :listeningmusic:
Phantom power won't have an affect on it, it is a dynamic mic.

Wasn't the RNP supposed to work great with an SM7B???

FMR Audio - RNP

Actually, yeah...that's a consideration.
I don't know the 2i2, but I know my preamps have stupid amounts of gain and are really quiet.
It's just something I never have to think about so I forget it's a potential problem.

The 2i2 is claiming 50db. Would be nice to hear from someone with first hand experience.

50 dB won't be enough. Especially for anything that isn't screaming loud.

I add most of my vocal gain through plug-ins in my DAW. It could be why they sound colored, especially compressor output gain. Is there a chance I'm already encountering this issue with the Sterling ST51 or AT4040? Or is this specific to the sm7b, since it's dynamic? I do have a sm57, and that thing was quiet as hell on my PreSonus Audiobox. Too quiet to use. Haven't tried with this new 2i2 though.

It's generally more of an issue with dynamics because they're less sensitive - Their output is lower.
If it's in front of a blazing 4x12 you're not going to have an issue, but with a 57 on acoustic guitar and a budget preamp, your going to be diming the gain.
Try your 57 out on vocal just to get an idea. The 7b output is a fair bit lower again, so if you have problems with the 57 you'll have bigger problems with the 7b.

sorry, just meant she sounds more comfortable/natural higher up.
No apologies necessary man. She is just a tiny woman, and yes she is more comfortable with her higher range. Fun project.

I do not have first hand experience with low gain preamps/interface with the SM7b. I Kinda jumped over that by purchasing a preamp that gives me as much as needed.

Cloudlifter could be an option, but that is $150 that could go towards something better overall. Just an opinion.

The sm7 is a little quieter than a 57.

I can't imagine the sterling or 2020 needing gain added in the daw. Where are you setting the recording levels and how far up is the gain set on the interface?

Back