For Sale: Tascam 388 Studio 8

iconoclaST520

I need to move soon, and I can't take this beast with me. For those who are unfamiliar with the Tascam 388, it is basically the precursor to the Portastudio line. Now, this this isn't really what I would consider "portable". It weighs about 88 pounds, and takes up a desk. (The desk it's sitting on was built specifically for it, and that comes along with it, if you wish.)

Anyways, it is a 1980's/1990's vintage 8-track analog all-in-one recording studio. (I think this one was originally purchased in 1993, but i'm not 100% on that) It has an integrated mixer, uses 1/4" tape on 7" reels, and features DBX noise reduction. For the most part, it still looks just as it did when it was brand new. I've made several test recordings on it, and it seems to be in functionally tip-top shape. I also have the original operation and maintenance service manual. During the time I've had it, I've cleaned the heads and all tape contact points every time before I put a new tape in. No buttons or knobs are missing, and the wooden side panels are in very good shape. The only flaws are that the plastic shroud on two of the quarter-inch inputs on the back have chipped, and one of the pulleys will squeak on occasion, but neither seem to affect the functionality. As far as use goes, the original owner took very good care of it, and had only used it to record a few commercial jingles for a radio station he was working at. The machine has always been kept in a clean, air-conditioned, non-smoking environment, and has been covered when not in use.

The machine is located in my current residence in Northwestern Pennsylvania, in the general area surrounding Erie. I'm hoping to get about $450 for the machine, plus manual and the wheeled table made for it. I'd prefer local pickup, but if you REALLY want it shipped, I can arrange that, but I honestly have no idea how to go about shipping a large, heavy, and delicate piece of equipment such as this. Depending on your location, I might be able to deliver it, if it's within a two or three hour drive, or possibly if it's on the way from Northwest Pennsylvania to Western Washington state.

Here are some pictures of the unit:
l_869dd00bca084745affdc73d63eb542c.png

l_ea1d72b67c604693bdc3ae50ef971a33.png

l_f28a6b694e7141c2835024d591835064.png

l_dd8481c1ce1e43f58d3c5866ae21abd4.png

That's a beautiful machine. I have one. I'd buy yours, if I were near by. Look into crating / sending it freight, if it needs to be shipped. More costly, yeah but at least it'll arrive in one piece. Obviously pickup is best. Good luck. That's a very good price.:)

Box it up and take it with you bro. Stash it under your bed in the new place and in 10 years you'll be able to sell it for thousands...Hell there are 388 die hards that will probably pay a grand now for it if you really do some digging and advertise on the recording sites/forums...Either way, that is a super clean example. Tascam 388's are the cats ass!

tascam 388 for sale

This machine is was my favorite and yours looks good. I am extremely interested in it if it is in good workink order. I have had 2 of them...one was lost in hurricane Katrina and one... I BOUGHT ON E-BAY THAT DIDN'T WORK AND COULD NOT BE FIXED... I need this machine to access the reels of music that I saved from the flood so if your 388 is working properly...I want it!

This machine is was my favorite and yours looks good. I am extremely interested in it if it is in good workink order. I have had 2 of them...one was lost in hurricane Katrina and one... I BOUGHT ON E-BAY THAT DIDN'T WORK AND COULD NOT BE FIXED... I need this machine to access the reels of music that I saved from the flood so if your 388 is working properly...I want it!

are you still in need of a machine like this? i have one for sale.

I've got a 388 near Magnolia (Houston) Tx.

Sorry about your bad luck with your 388's. I've got one up here that was only being used for it's mixer and needs the belt replaced which I've bought but that's as far as it got. You're free to come check it out. I'd like $300 if things look okay. Greg 8173six89477.

Back