Revox A77 Mk III, High-Speed (7.5 ips, and 15 ips), Half-Track model, accesories too

N7SC

SOLD Revox A77 Mk III, High-Speed (7.5 ips, and 15 ips), Half-Track model, acc

EDITED Tuesday, 4/7/14, at 4:07pm - Dropped starting bid and Buy-It-Now prices a bit.

Given the cost of recording to tape (mainly the cost of the tape), and my lack of available time, I am selling my High-Speed, Half-Track A77 Mk III. It comes with a bunch of accessories that I will have no use for after I sell the deck itself. It is listed on eBay (URL given below), but if someone makes me an acceptible offer here, I can just end the auction on eBay.

IMAG0416.jpgIMAG0415-Edit.jpgIMAG0428.jpgIMAG0420.jpgIMAG0432.jpg

If you look up the specs for all of the A77 variants, you will see that the HS/HT model achieves a S/N ratio well above the 4-track, sort of in between the plain 4-track models and the Dolby equipped machines. Please see this web page:The famous Revox A77 taperecorders And the half-track model does it without the audible artifacts that Dolby introduces. I could hear the artifacts caused by Dolby NR quite clearly when I was younger, and might still be able to.

I mean what I said in the second-to-last paragraph in the eBay listing, this deck deserves a good home with someone who appreciates its remarkable capabilities:

"I really like this machine, but no longer put it to any use. I would like to see it in the hands of someone else that appreciates it and puts it to good use, and takes care of it well. It certainly is audiophile eye-candy, but its real beauty is in what it can do, so it needs to be used. And, I haven't used it very much since I bought it several years ago. I just admire its great looks, and it deserves more than that."

Here is the whole eBay description of what is for sale:

Revox A77 MK III High-Speed (7.5 ips and 15 ips), Half-Track, Mastering model. With lots of other accessories.

The Revox is in good condition, it works well, and the heads are in quite good shape. A couple of light bulbs are burned out, the counter does not reset but does work, and there are a few scratches in the middle of the control panel (lower panel) that look like they are from editing by cutting tape. All in all this machine is in great shape for its age and the use it has probably seen before it came to me. I used it just recently, and it still works fine.

The pressure roller has been replaced with a new one, and the rotating tape guide (bearing) on the supply reel side was replaced too.

Includes:

• The original Revox power cord.
  • A pair of genuine Revox NAB adapters that work well. These, alone, are selling for between $60 and $80 on ebay.
  • A pair of new rubber rings for the NAB adapters for future maintenance.
  • A couple of light bulbs - I don't know where they go, or if they work at all.
  • 3M Precision (6-bolt, machined not stamped) take up NAB 10.5" reel that had "Revox" silk screened on the side opposite the "3M Recording Tape" sticker.
  • Two 10.5" reels (precision, 6-bolt, etc.), 2500 feet each, of 3M 996 recording tape with their plastic boxes that they came in. Bought new by me, and little used. The tape is in very good shape.
  • A Revox head cleaning kit in bad shape, the cleaning pads are dirty, some are falling off, and the mirror falls out of its handle.
  • An R.B. Annis Han-D-Mag demagnetizer that has been used only about 3 times.
  • A full 7" reel (1000 ft) of Scotch/3M leader tape, white, unused.
  • A 5" plastic take up reel.
  • An unused Nortronics splicing block.
  • A set of 3 reel bolts with their nuts, for the non-precision NAB reels. Handy to use, along with a couple of flanges when spooling a pancake of tape on to a reel.
  • A full reproduced copy of the Revox Manual (owners, and operating instructions, etc.)
  • A genuine Revox A77 Service Manual, with an addendum of about 10 to 12 pages.
  • The book "Handbook of Multichannel Recording" by Alton Everest (1975) not in photos.

It might take up to a week to properly pack the heavy and delicate tape deck up for shipping, so if you buy it, please be patient about that. It will be double boxed, with protection around its delicate cine spindles and head block. The accessories listed above will be shipped separately from the deck, and might take two or more boxes to be properly packed. All of this, especially the careful packing of the A77 itself, is why I have specified a long lead time for shipping, and why the price for shipping is about the same as most of these sold on eBay, and not discounted.

I really like this machine, but no longer put it to any use. I would like to see it in the hands of someone else that appreciates it and puts it to good use, and takes care of it well. It certainly is audiophile eye-candy, but its real beauty is in what it can do, so it needs to be used. And, I haven't used it very much since I bought it several years ago. I just admire its great looks, and it deserves more than that.

Edited on Easter Sunday, at about 11:00am reduced starting bid and Buy-It-Now prices by $50​

And here is the URL for the auction, if you want to see photos: ReVox A77 Mark III High Speed Half Track Mastering Model and Lots More | eBay

The shipping cost, $50, is the same as on eBay. It is very important to pack this tape deck up carefully and protect it well. Its own substantial weight can actually work against it while it is in transit. Thus, the packing as mentioned in the eBay listing, quoted above.

Thanks for looking, and if you are interested, I also have a Revox Cartridge Mounting Kit for the Revox Linatrack (linear tracking) turntables. Those of you who know about this line of turntables, B790, B791, B795, etc., know that these kits sell for utterly absurd prices because they are a necessity to have when changing, or aligning the cartridge on these turntables, and there are very few of these kits available. Especially so for kits that include everything, as this one does.

Here is the URL for the kit: ReVox Cartridge Mounting Kit for ReVox Linatrack Turntables | eBay

I might also decide to sell my Revox B791, linear-tracking, turntable too. If interested, please let me know, and I'll either set up an eBay auction, or you can make me an offer here if you want to.

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited:
Back