Need help - Lots of equipment for sale

mbelew

My sons' girlfriends' father just passed away and he has a large collection of recording equipment, amps, and musical instruments. My she is selling some of the equipment to a local guitar center (Durham North Carolina). I am afraid that she is being ripped off, but I do not have the knowledge to really help. She has asked me to post some photos of a few things to see if anyone would be interested and to ask individuals to indicate a fair price. If you are not interested but have information about the items that may make me better informed, that would be wonderful.

She has also stated that anyone interested in viewing items locally (Durham NC) to contact me and I will make introductions. You can reach me at my profile email address michaelbelew@yahoo.com.

If anyone would be interested in me posting additional items please let me know. She has around 12 amps most similar to the one posted, way to many guitars to list and additional recording equipment to what is pictured here.

Attachments

• DSC_0014.JPG
    DSC_0014.JPG
    490.5 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_0015.JPG
    DSC_0015.JPG
    423.1 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0050.JPG
    DSC_0050.JPG
    256.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0030.JPG
    DSC_0030.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 30
Oh man, don't sell it to Guitar Center. They really do rip people off when buying used items. As a customer, buying used stuff from them isn't so bad, but they pay way too little when you try to sell to them.

Hop on Reverb.com, have a look at their price guide to get an idea of what your items are worth.

https://reverb.com/price-guide

If you don't mind shipping, then list each item on there and you'll reach a nice wide audience. If you price the items on the low side of the price range, you should have no trouble selling them off in a hurry. Or, if you're more patient, you can ask on the high side and hold out for top dollar.

Although, you might have no trouble getting rid of that reel-to-reel here on these forums. That's a great looking Bassman as well! It'll be worth looking up the serial number on that amp and figuring out what year it was made. That can greatly affect the asking price.

The only issue I have in listing on Reverb is I do even really have the knowledge to list the items. I can do some basic companions based on images and maybe serial numbers, the recording equipment it is a little easier as many product names are obvious, but I am out of my league. I know many of is amps and guitars are from the 60's, and I have little knowledge. Is there a better way to gain the knowledge that would help me.

Mike

Oh jeez, if there are amps and guitars from the '60s, depending on the brand and condition, they could be worth a pretty penny. Or, they could be worthless junk. It might be worth bringing in a local expert to appraise some of those things. The money you pay a pro might come back to you many-fold, if you happen to have any gems in the collection.

There are several members around here that know their stuff when it comes to vintage guitars, amps, and recording gear. With some clear, well-lit pictures, we might be able to help you sort the wheat from the chaff.

Do not repeat do NOT go to GC. They will rip you off.

Best thing to do is to check ebay completed listings. It will give you a realistic overview of what some of this stuff goes for in the real world.

The gentleman who passed away has got to have some friends with all that gear. He's gotta have known some musician types. Maybe find and enlist one of those people to help inventory and possibly sell stuff off.

It's important to find someone trustworthy. I've seen too many times in these situations where all the vultures come out.

I am assuming the daughter would be getting the proceeds of the collection. If there are vintage guitars involved, it could be anywhere from a college tuition to a house. Even if it was just a few 70s Les Pauls, you're still looking at thousands.

Don't just dump the stuff. It's bad enough losing a parent, but then getting ripped on top of it all is worse.

Would be great if you could photograph and list some of the stuff on here - you'll at least find out what you've got and find people willing to pay at least the bottom end of what an honest price is. If you take that stuff to a shop you'll get ripped right off.

That brownface bassman is worth some money. It all depends on condition - the pic looks good. If it's in very good to excellent condition you may be looking at $2500. There are books that value vintage gear. It would be worth buying. -This should be her first step!

Seriously, please tell her to take the time and research this. If she has 12 very good condition brownfaces, you could be talking $30,000 or more just for the amps.

I just bought a blackface showman (similar amp, although perhaps less valuable) for $1900 and I'm thrilled with it.

Back