Pearldiver

This product is one of a kind. $675

PICTURES:
Front
url]

Back
url]

Quote from Lexicon:

"Designed by tube guru John McIntyre, the Signature 284 delivers sinuous touch and gorgeous tone as only a fully-cranked all-tube amp can. Its low-power design makes it ideal for recording as well as live performance applications where high volume levels are undesirable."

-from the Lexicon web site (Legacy Products)-

In the newsgroups, David Coffin wrote:

"The Signature 284 All-tube Class A Stereo Guitar Amplifier, optimized for recording and direct use, with about 6 watts of power [a mere 3 watts for the left channel, and 3 for the right] and compensated recording outs that come after the power section and include passive loading--2-space rack mount, single channel with a boost switch and four tone knobs. This thing was designed by John McIntyre, who used to write for Guitar Player and is based on a similar piece he designed that the Lace-Sensor folks were offering last year. It too has an effects loop (tube driven stereo) and slave outs. I heard it played both thru cabinets and direct thru monitors and it was very sweet...the demonstrator could really do the SRV thing and it sounded almost exactly the same when he switched from cab to monitors. Should be about $999."

It is a double space rack unit. self contained fan cooled, fuse protected unit. It comes stock with 3 12ax7 (pre) and 2 el34 (power) slovtek tubes - rated at about 6 watts total power. I replaced them with MESA BOOGIE to cut out some of the "flab" on the bottom end.

This amp is a stereo Class A amp recording/direct source amplifier for recording direct guitar. It was made after an amp design of past (probably Fender Champ or Princeton), but with higher quality componentry and circuitry to make it a Class A power amp, and self biasing, plus the addition of stereo. on the front the controls are as follows:

input jack
PRE Gain (pull for dirty/push for clean)
BASS
MIDS
TREBLE
PRESENCE
MASTER (LEFT)
MASTER (RIGHT)

on the back you have XLR outputs - left and right
1/4" direct source outputs - left and right (for amping)
1/4" outs for direct recording
compensation pads for dB reduction
effects loop / stereo (between pre and power)

This unit originally sold for $1000 US new, and has been discontinued. Lace Music of California and John McIntyre created this amp, and it will most likely hit the market again, under a new brand name, perhaps FENDER? It is a "now" product, ideal for todays digital recording needs.

Although its great for recording, I love it for live use. I have a 1953 Fender Bassman 4-10 amp, and I use this like a pre-gain stage, which gives my old fender some real balls. at lower volumes it sounds like a small fender, as you approach higher gains, it gets sounding more like MESA. if you crank the heck out of everything (the LEXICON and the POWER AMP) it has so much saturation its insane, like a fuzzy evil very very grungy Sepultura sound perhaps without the real CHUNK, more of that Sabbath fuzzy throaty chunk. This of course is my Fender Bassman involved too. The Lexicon alone can be heard here:

All sounds were recorded using an ISIS 16bit/44.1 khz card, and Cakewalk 8. Unfortunately the mics were run through line transformers and into a cheapo 80's effect device to bring up line levels (and noise ;). I think the last two were done on my new Mackie tho.

1) A softer rock sound example of the Lexicon, attached to a small (and unfortunately cheap) peavey 12" speaker, with a 1962 re-issue strat, mic'd with a 57 or 58, i forget. [6MB]

2) This is the amp again, more gain, very reminiscent of KISS style/sound with an Ibanez set to bridge, humbuckers, and probably mic'd with a 57 or 58 into my Mackie. [3.4 MB]

3) This one is the LEXICON direct recording, going for high gain, Ibanez guitar. NO effects whatsoever. [1.1 MB]

4) This is the amp again, a short clip, same cheapo peavey 12" speaker, with a AKG d190es and *maybe* probably not, a 57 as well. This is a nice example of the tonality when bright rock sound is desired. 57's alone dont bring out the highs on a guitar speaker very well, they mainly give u mids and lows. [800K]

Ok, so there u have it. This thing does not sound like a Triple Rectifier OK? Nor does it sound like my Randall RG100 (Pantera). We're talking eric clapton, KISS, ted Nugent, Garth Brooks, or Lenny Kravitz here, not metallica, megadeth or slayer. Mind you, further overdriven by a power stage (like in the case of my fender bassman) things can really get grungy with it.

Buy it for one or more of these reason:

-You love to record direct
-You like to vary your sounds and add to your rack, play direct live
-You like a very cool classic tube sound that breaks up nice, at low, apartment volumes
-You want more gain out of your tube amp, but you hate pedals and love the sound of a power stage breaking up instead of cheezy 12ax7 pre-amps
-You've heard of this amp for studio use

Anyway.. these amps are hard to find, and mine sounds even better with MESA tubes than a new one (SLOVTEK suck OK? can u say FLABBY USELESS BASS?) another cool choice would be Sletvana tubes. there are also MODS for this amp kicking around to vary its sound. Don't worry too much about the fact it is a legacy discontinued product... This is a very very simple tube design, anyone with tube experience (a pro) can fix this amp if necessary, this is not rocket science people.

Price - $675 US non negotiable - I love this amp. New price elsewhere includes Slovtek tubes, not these MESA's (barf)

Articles on this amp:

>>sweetwater.com<<
http://www.sweetwater.com/publications/sweetnotes/sn-earlyfall98/page-13.html

>>Price check on zzsounds.com - available through email only<<
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/love.music?p=p.LEXSIGNATURE284&z=1436660261719
"Thanks for your inquiry regarding the Lexicon Signature 284 Class A Tube Recording Amplifier. Our price is so low that we are not allowed to advertise it on our website. Our price on this item is $829.00."

>>other peoples reviews on harmony-central.com<<
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Lexicon/Signature_284-01.html

Some people found the bottom end flabby on this amp, as I did. I solved that problem with MESA tubes. Other tube choices could make it sound more like a Marshall. I honestly think the oultimate companion to this rig would be a MESA 50/50 tube stereo amp for live use, or if u have a good PA - direct.

Kyle Carrington
kylecarrington@hotmail.com
250-494-1585

Last edited:
lemme know where, ill buy another one ;)
last i checked there wasnt a single one on ebay, and zzsounds.com wants over $800. talk is cheap buddy, where?

Back