steen

Good , bad, best or better ears.
GS
gerrit steenbreker

Beantwoorden|
Vandaag, 17:49
U
Good , bad, best or better ears.

I think it is quite interesting or maybe even shocking to see that in the recording world only few people have their ears tested/checked. What is it? We prefer to blame the audiosystem instead of ourselfves? We spend tons of dollars or euros and labour on monitorsystems and acoustic treatment. An enormous turnover in the industry. One single dB more or less seems to be worth advertising. One or two single dB's. But what about our ears? A difference of more then 20 dB between you and me is possible. At some frequencies even 30 dB. Do we realize that? Did you have your ears checked by a hearing care?

I'm wondering what difference that it makes. What's the big quibble about?

Having my ears checked doesn't actually CHANGE my ears. All it does is give me yet one more "response curve" that may or may not be useful. My ears are no BETTER. My hearing is no more precise. My acuity, after paying an audiologist, is pretty much exactly what it was when i started. Unless I commission a hearing aid, the entire exercise is as pointless as going to the optometrist without dispensing glasses.

Furthermore, I've done some piano tuning in my life. It doesn't take great ears - you can be darned near stone deaf, really. You just gotta know what to listen FOR. The same is true with mixing to a large extent.

Just like any other talent associated with music, it's not just being able to hear, it's what you do with what you got.

Ponder5

Back