FS: Bass Traps (?)

chessrock

Banned
I just put together whole shit load of tube bass traps. I used fiberglass insulation in a cylindar/tube shape, sealed them air tight with wood on either end. Covered with fabric, etc. They would be absorptive down to 40 hz or so.

Would it be worth it for me to make more of these and sell them, or do you think it would be a waste of my efforts?

Just trying to get a feel for a potential market. Any thoughts on the matter are greatly appreciated.

Well, Chess, you've got my interest, but I'm just as interested in learning to make them myself. The problem around here is that we're all a bunch of DIY'ers. :)

My guess is that shipping will add a hefty chunk to the price, but I'm interested in what you have in mind.

Take care,
Chris

Thanks for the honest answer, there, Chris.

You bring up an excellent point that I had, myself, contemplated.

What I've noticed, though, is that there are a lot of people talking about it and very few actually doing it. My theory on that is because the materials are prohibitively difficult to get a hold of, particularly in small amounts.

You see, it isn't very likely that many people will be able to walk in to an industrial supplies warehouse and say "I'll have two of those." :D You'd have to special order like a truck load of them at a time . . . which brings the per-unit cost down quite significantly, by the way.

Maybe I could just order the materials by the truck load, and make a little extra dough breaking them up and selling them by the onesies and twosies to interested DIYers ? ? ? It's a thought.

Here's the type of thing I'm talking about, by the way:

http://ic.net/~jtgale/diy2.htm

ebay..

they look like nice cat scratching posts or plant stands though.

I honestly wouldn't buy them..probably because I'd get tired of explaining to everyone what they are supposed to be, and what they shouldn't be hearing...like they shouldn't be...or should be...or sumpin'

those work, huh? I prefer the neat looking blockhead things you hang on the wall instead. Those look more studio-ish...like shockmounts and stuff like that. You don't see alot of tubes in the da corners of studios, me thinks... at least not pro studios... or do you? I never have.

Of course they don't have to look so crude.

Mine are wrapped in this spiffy African-patterned fabric. They actually look kinda' artsy. I'm also thinking of getting a hold of some leopard-skin fur just for shits and/or giggles.

As far as explaining to people what purpose they serve, you make a good point. I'm growing tired of trying to explain what a room mode is. Although it does make me look sorta' smart. :D

Yup- that's my next question, too: what's your estimate on the price?

Another guess I have is that a modest price would easily outweigh the hassel I would have trying to find the materials from where I live- the sticks. :D

I love living in the sticks, but specialized stuff requires a bit of driving sometimes.

Take care,
Chris

Let's see . . .

The fiberglass is about $30 per trap (37" tall, 12 1/2" diameter, 1" thick'). If I were to buy it in large enough quanitities, who knows?

If I get them pre-cut, then the round wood pieces used for sealing the ends run me a couple bucks a piece, so we'll say $4 total there per trap.

There is a lot of glue involved, so between that and the fabric used to cover it, I'll estimate an extra $10 per trap.

So all in all, we'd be looking at about $45 per trap as my cost, and it takes me about 1 1/2 hours worth of my labor to knock out three of them at a time.

They weigh next to nothing, but as you can probably tell, they're rather sizeable, so shipping costs might be the biggest obstacle, here. The fiberglass tubes come delivered to me in boxes of three, so if I were to sell them in threes, I could just ship them in those boxes and save on that expense.

I'm open to suggestions. Based on the numbers . . . what do you think would be a fair profit margin? If this were your project, what would you charge for just the materials to make it worth your while, and how much do you think would be a fair asking price for a set of three, fully-assembled? My initial thought is $200 for a set of three.

Last edited:
Back