which speaker/membran should i use?

edorc

hello,
i want to modify my vox mini5 guit amp for playing electronic stuff, like synths, drum machines ect..
so i have to change the speaker. which would be nice sounding on 5w/6,5" (maybe 8" possible)?
also, could i modify te amp for delivering more power?
i like its small size, the models, inputs. but its sound is more suited to guit + harmonica..

thanks - stefan

Sorry Stefan, new amp time!

Synths need much more power than rock guitar tones for an equivalent loudness. This is mostly due to the requirements of the bass end of the spectrum (unless you WANT to sound like a Stylophone?).

In fact there are no guitar amp/speaker combinations that are suitable until you get to 100-200 watts and 4 x12s (well, the amps would cope but not "stiff" guitar speakers) .

Don't know about synth amps but there are a lot of quite decent, small bass guitar amps around now, look for something along those lines.

Dave.

Sorry Stefan, new amp time!

Synths need much more power than rock guitar tones for an equivalent loudness. This is mostly due to the requirements of the bass end of the spectrum (unless you WANT to sound like a Stylophone?).

In fact there are no guitar amp/speaker combinations that are suitable until you get to 100-200 watts and 4 x12s (well, the amps would cope but not "stiff" guitar speakers) .

Don't know about synth amps but there are a lot of quite decent, small bass guitar amps around now, look for something along those lines.

Dave.

understand... but i have to tell you: this little vox mini5 sounds really good to me. for guitar + also that toyish electronics sound.. i will keep it!

thanks

I agree. if you like it for what it does, keep it the way it is. If you need to have something that will deliver full range, buy something designed to do that.

By the time you try to modify this thing, it will cost you more than if you just bought the right thing to begin with. And it will no longer do what it does now.

Back