Passive Volume Knob!!!!

Do you know of a pot that would be able to run both channels with 1 knob?
The article says to use a 10k log pot is there anything else that would be better?

Yes, use a dual pot. You want a log taper for volume, but as for the value it depends on your application. 10K is just right for line-level, but too low for a guitar and too high for a speaker. Also, this pad will have variable (and thus potentially high) output impedance, so ideally you want it on the downstream side of the signal chain.

You can do a constant-impedance control with two pots per channel; that's a dual pot for mono and a quad pot (very hard to find) for stereo. But unless that is important, I wouldn't worry about it.

Yes, use a dual pot. You want a log taper for volume, but as for the value it depends on your application. 10K is just right for line-level, but too low for a guitar and too high for a speaker. Also, this pad will have variable (and thus potentially high) output impedance, so ideally you want it on the downstream side of the signal chain.

You can do a constant-impedance control with two pots per channel; that's a dual pot for mono and a quad pot (very hard to find) for stereo. But unless that is important, I wouldn't worry about it.

Ok dont want to sound redundant....
10k long pot
I want a quad for stereo or dual for 2 mono
and I can wire this directly from and to the 1/4" jacks with nothing else needed.

Ok dont want to sound redundant....
10k long pot
I want a quad for stereo or dual for 2 mono
and I can wire this directly from and to the 1/4" jacks with nothing else needed.

No, dual for stereo, unless you have a special case. A speaker attenuator would be a good example. If this is a line-level volume control, it's not necessary in most circumstances.

No, dual for stereo, unless you have a special case. A speaker attenuator would be a good example. If this is a line-level volume control, it's not necessary in most circumstances.

Ok so a dual is for stereo? Should which would you use? 2 Pots for right and left channel or 1 dual pot? And yes this is a line level signal. It is to control the levels of my powered monitors from my echo layla which has no hardware attenuator or volume besides a headphones out.

Ok so a dual is for stereo? Should which would you use? 2 Pots for right and left channel or 1 dual pot? And yes this is a line level signal. It is to control the levels of my powered monitors from my echo layla which has no hardware attenuator or volume besides a headphones out.

Separate pots for stereo gets annoying. Besides, you want to calibrate your monitors and leave them. I would go dual pot, but what I actually do for myself is set -14dBFS RMS = 85dBSPL and use my software fader. Yes, that means I am sacrificing dynamic range due to D/A converter noise, but it doesn't matter since that noise lives at -13dBSPL.

Back