Deacy build thread.

Just picked them up on ebay a while back. I used them to mount the output cards for some preamps.
Something like this.

I have a punch just shy of the thread diameter so I hammered it into the cab then the risers just screwed straight into the holes. :)

Cool i just did a quick search on ebay and found some plastic screw on pcb mounting feet and some self adhesive ones.
thanks mate

Looking great, gentlemen!

I am definitely a "check thrice, solder once" advocate. If you are working on double sided and through-plated boards, de-soldering becomes a whole lot less simple.

Once these amps are up and running, I propose that you each build a Red Special. :guitar:

I have a nice old mantle piece made of mohogany in my shed. Thats crying out to be made into an M16 guitar like Peter Tosh's.
Unfortunately i dont have the time or resouces right now.

I got some batten on the inside today ready to screw the back on.
Inset is a plastic backplate for jack sockets/pot for future additions.
ie treble booster and direct record pcb
Heres the deacy so far with the back on temoporarily.

Deacy back panel.jpg
It already sounds better just with the back on. I reckon it would benefit from some acoustic padding inside though.

Nice one Rich. That's gona be tip top!

I thought about hiding everything round the back, but knowing my luck I'd make mistakes and the back will be off and on no end trying to fix them.

Putting them on the top looks a little messy, but at least it's accessible for ol' mistake prone Steen. :p

There's a deacy build on youtube. Looks like all circuitry is mounted on the back panel, and it's hinged to the chassis. All the knobs are pointing upright, but fixed to the back.
Pretty suave looking.

Screen Shot 2012-12-26 at 6.52.12 PM.png

That'd be the build thats housed in a mini vox practice amp casing.
Looks good doesnt sound bad either.
I reckon it must be an early version of the pcb board because of the heatsinks.
My heatsinks are nothing like that. Plus he has built in an onboard power supply.
The panel screws to the top of the back of the box (note the input and output jacks) must face down when in place.

I've been in touch with Rene the guy who built it and he would like to hear some samples and see some pictures.
So i sent him the link to this thread.

Whoa, You've been busy, Rich.
Sounds great man. :)

I think you've got a really usable little amp there!

Do you have a tweeter on the go or have you just played with mic position? I don't care much for the fizzier take, but the beefier one sounds great.

I think I'm gona re do my 'george harrison - cheer down' lead as a test with mine. :)

Its worth spending a little time getting the sound you want first. So I did.
Then I stuck a mic infront of it and had to totally resculpt the sound for the mic. :)

It's a great little amp. You cant push it too far or the saturation turns the sound to mush.

But you'll discover that Paul and i agree its gonna be a great little secret weapon in my recording gear arsenal.
Well worth the investment.

It's a great little amp. You cant push it too far or the saturation turns the sound to mush.

What do you think that's down to? The booster? The speaker maybe? Maybe it's just the way it is?

But you'll discover that Paul and i agree its gonna be a great little secret weapon in my recording gear arsenal.
Well worth the investment.

Some day, someone will come in and say "I'm really going for a Brian May kind of sound" and BOOM....we'll be all over that. ;)

Congrats, kip, and enjoy.

Thinking of throwing together a simple lm386 amp, since I have a spare cab.

Even if theyre not after that Brian May sound mate i think anyone would be pleased with the sound they get from such a compact amp.
It has a great overdive sound that sounds natural.
I'm not sure if its the speaker , the amp or what. I'm very intrested to see what yours turns out like.

I'll google that amp and see what it is . I've never heard of it.

I'll tell you something for free man. This building circuits is a bit like getting tattoos. ie you get needle fever and you just want to do another build.
I'm so chuffed I/We did this.

You're right man. There's an addictive element.

Realising how simple this little amp is, I think I'd wanna understand properly how it works.
I don't really have any foundation in electronics and it seems like this little amp would be a great one for really learning what's happening.

Large trouble shooting post removed.........

There was a break in the input shield.
I'll report back soon.

Last edited:
Back