Deacy build thread.

Merry Christmas everyone!

I'm now the proud owner of Deacy amp and direct output kits. :)
The only thing missing is the transformers and they're now in the post.

I'll take some pics along the way when I get started.

How exciting. :D

Steeno You are officially the Leader od the Deacy club.
Where are you getting your transformers? Same place as me?

Lol. I'm lagging behind!!

Yeah, went with the same ones. I don't expect I'll see them until mid 1st week January though.

Still, plenty to get on with. As I say, I have the little direct out board, so I'll work at that.

View attachment Deacy amp trial 1.mp3

Heres my first go at recording it.
Signal chain
MIM strat>Steeno treble booster>Deacy amp>gls es57 dynamic mic> BASF sp52 Tape (15ips) > Daw.

No mixing or processing in daw (except edit cuts) straight to Mp3 conversion.
Dynamics and distortion achieved soley on guitar volume knob.
The tape may have introduced more hiss.

Dont slay me on christmas day, I couldnt thing what else to play and i'm in a food coma. Thats my excuse anyway.

I cant wait to hear about this direct outboard.
Just remember the interstage transformer inputs will want swapping round.
I might have a go at the record board from scratch in a few weeks/months. When i get some more componants etc.

Sounding cool Rich. Thanks for posting.

What speaker is that you're using? Is it still open backed or have you closed it up?
Can the treble booster drive the amp any harder than that?

I have mine fully built and checked.

I promised myself I'd wait for the transformers and bench test it before mounting the boards and wiring in the pots.
Seems I got carried away.

Pics (and no doubt troubleshooting) to follow.

The direct board has a 2 pole 2 throw switch to send the amp to either the speaker, or the board.
I think I'll replace it with a 2 pole 3 throw and fit an external cab socket on the back.

I have those 12" wharfedales, so I'd like the option to try one of them out.

Last edited:
The treble booster will drive it a whole lot harder its hardly off the mark.
I'm using an Altai 15w 8ohm 6" speaker and a small tweeter.
The backs still open as yet. I need to plane the back edges off, batten the inside and fit a back like on the original. As well as a plate for the connections, knobs and mains and battery terminals
I might do the same with a cab option. Good thinking.
"I have mine fully built and checked."
You have built it already? meaning the Deacy ? really everything except the transformers? Cool.

I'm waiting, Steenie :listeningmusic:

Rich, how does the deacy sound when pushed harder? I think Brian May's tones resulted from hard overdrive using the treble boost, and possibly with some feedback?

Buck a towel in the back and push it up against the wall, then dime it. We wanna hear!!! :)

Yeah, I have it all built and done, barring the transformers.
It went together depressingly quickly. :p
It's quite saddening not being able to test it out.

Buck a towel in the back and push it up against the wall, then dime it. We wanna hear!!! :)

Yeah, I have it all built and done, barring the transformers.
It went together depressingly quickly. :p
It's quite saddening not being able to test it out.

It was a little dissapointing how quick it went together wasnt it.
If it hadnt been for a couple of days debugging i'd have had it done and dusted in a few hours.
Please note potential builders. If your thinking of using the cheaper alternative transformers found on ebay. You may find as i did that the interstage transformer is wound out of phase with the output transformer and you will need to cross over the legs on its input (the two legged side) See my picture above. Thanks to the manufacturer of the kit who came up with this idea.

Heres a link to the transformers

Brian May Deacy Amp Replica - Inter-stage and Output Transformer Set | eBay

Also a big thanks to Paul Steen for helping me debugg it. You were a massive help and i learn so much about the circuit and its componants in the process.

I think I'll do a ts808 project and a buffered ABY and the record board for the deacy next.
I have componants on order via slow boat from china.

I'll get the back on it as soon as i can mate and do some more testing too.
i'll even try out feeding back when i get the chance i've still got family over right now so i dont want to dime it tonight.
I will try most things to find out its strengths and weaknesses.
I might even add in the Lpad for good measure.

I have some along the way pics if anyones intrested.

If your thinking of using the cheaper alternative transformers found on ebay. You may find as i did that the interstage transformer is wound out of phase with the output transformer and you will need to cross over the legs on its input (the two legged side) See my picture above.

Just to clarify, it's not wrong relative to the output transformer. The primaries are the wrong way round relative to the secondaries.
I'm definitely glad you wen't ahead of me with the build. That would have really pissed me off! lol.

Also a big thanks to Paul Steen for helping me debugg it. You were a massive help and i learn so much about the circuit and its componants in the process.
No sweat dude. Glad to have helped.
I'm happy to be learning bits and pieces, same as yourself.

I have some along the way pics if anyones intrested.
Please share. :) I have a stack of pics here but I've misplaced my iphone cable.
I'll probably get them on within the hour.

I wasn't 100% sure myself, but as I understand it you match the impedance to your speaker, and the wattage must be greater than or equal to the amps output wattage. 15 watt is plenty.

I read somewhere that this amp sounds much better driving a 4ohm speaker. I can't vouch for it, but that's why I bought the stereo 8ohm Lpad.
I've wired it parallel for 4ohms, but If I ever change to an 8ohm driver I can just use one side of the lpad instead.

Just to clarify, it's not wrong relative to the output transformer. The primaries are the wrong way round relative to the secondaries.

Your absolutely right. My mistake

here you go
resistors close up.jpg

Resistors soldered up.jpg

back of pcb resistors in.jpg

Caps in close up.jpg

Transistors in.jpg
Please note the wiring on the blue transformer (below pic) needed changing as described earlier.
Off board wiring.jpg

Looking smart. Thanks for sharing, Rich.

Here are mine from today.

All present and correct.
1.JPG
Numbered, because I WILL mix things up!
2.JPG
Resistors dry fitted.
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
Resistors soldered.
6.JPG
Caps dry fitted.
7.JPG
Caps soldered.
8.JPG
Transistors soldered.
9.JPG
10.JPG
New home.
11.JPG

Pots and jacks wired. Looks like a snake pit in the photos, but it's really not that untidy! I swear.

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

Last edited:
Nice photos Paul and nice work too.
It sure is getting busy inside that enclosure now.
Is that all there is to the direct record card?
I'm sure i could do a point to point vero board from the schematic.
Btw when i use the walwart it introduces a lot more noise. Maybe i need a better walwart.
Those little risers are neat too mate.
Mines a little more ghetto.

It did get messier than I expected. I suppose I could have spent a bit more time routing the wires and cable tieing them, but I didn't! :p
Plus, it's kinda pokey in there.
If it works, it works. :)

You could 100% make your own direct board.
I'll send you everything I have on it if you like.

Last edited:
Cheers mate i'd appreciate it.
where did you get your risers pls?

btw i was just as anal when it came to checking the bits in the kit. Infact i poked my resistors through a strip of paper and numbered them too.
I figured it was worth double checking everything. Time spent at this stage has to be worth it. Once the boards populated it gets more difficult to swap stuff out.

Back