What's your favorite DIY preamp?

Tadpui

I'm getting a little ahead of myself, but I'm going to teach myself how to solder in the coming weeks. Right now, I'm only capable of creating messy globs of solder and iffy connections. But I've been studying, and in the next week I'll be getting some practice.

Assuming that I end up at least semi-competent at soldering, I'd like to put together a preamp kit one of these days. I think I'd like something with personality, something a little colored or maybe something that could be driven into a subtle musical distortion. My current preamps are pretty clean (RME Fireface and FMR RNP).

So far I've looked at options from Seventh Circle, Five Fish, and Sound Skulptor. I'm actually taken aback at how expensive they are, for something that comes as a pile of parts! I might need to work my way up to the $350+ options, I'd hate to ruin one due to my inexperience.

Any suggestions for a more affordable first-timer DIY preamp with some color to it?

I only have experience with the SCA stuff. I built their N72 module (a Neve clone) with their One Shot chassis, and I think the total was around $450 for everything. My old drummer had also built several of their kits, including the API and Jensen clones. He loved them, but I didn't have much experience with them before the band split up.

If you're wanting something more affordable with which to start, I've heard good things about the tube mic preamp from Paia.

Edit: I should say ... I love my N72, but again, I can't compare it to another DIY preamp or anything.

It can be much more affordable to buy old preamp/eq modules from parted out consoles and rack them up with your own power supply and I/O,
but be aware - soldering is just a basic skill.

Not that I'm an expert, but you'll need to have a basic understanding of what you're building, or racking, for the inevitable moment when it doesn't work. ;)

when Golden Age Projects are selling their 73jr for $250 is it even worth going the DIY route? this thing is awesome, Ive got its big bro and wish I didnt as you can fit 4 jr's in a 1U rackspace

when Golden Age Projects are selling their 73jr for $250 is it even worth going the DIY route? this thing is awesome, Ive got its big bro and wish I didnt as you can fit 4 jr's in a 1U rackspace

Good question. For me, part of it is just the conquest of having put together something that I can use and enjoy. Now that I've been through a few beginner-level PCB projects, I'm feeling a little emboldened. I don't think that I'm quite ready for a SCA N72 (which, after a couple more weeks of research, is the leader of the pack that I'm looking at), I feel like I could at least capably assemble a simpler preamp at this point.

Have you tried looking into ClassicAPI? They have some pretty good stuff. I've put together a few of the modules and several of the OpAmps (VP25, VP26 and VP312) and have been very happy with them.

(I would buy the OpAmps if you don't have a steady hand)

CR

The five fish sc 1 is awesome on acoustic guitar and bass.

Aha! Have not heard about the Owl since the sad demise of Studio Central.

One day I want to build some super low noise pres using transformers (and maybe AD797s?) for wildlife recording.

Dave.

John at massive mastering started a forum called recordingstudiocentral.com to replace studio central.

Most of the heavy hitters are there, but there is nothing driving the newbs. Lots of teachers, no students.

I'm loving my DIY boss FA1 preamp. Easy to build low parts count but the sound is so worth it.
For recording I use a DIY recording pre based on Craig andertons directo matic. Mine is a single channel with parallel out for simultaneous amp recording, ground lift and phase inverters on switches.

Back