Using Microphones on motorcoaches

wcameron

I work as a guide and podcaster. When I travel on buses I'm trying more and more to use my own mics rather than the crappy mics found on most buses. The problem is that most bus audio systems use a 4-pin xlr jack instead of a 3-pin. Years ago I had a bus mechanic make me a cable for their coaches that went from 4-pin to 3-pin. I recently had to take the 3-pin end out to re-solder one of the connections. It looks like they only have one wire and a shield. I can't get the 4-pin end to come off so I can't check the wiring for that end. It looks like the hot wire is on pin 3 and the sheild connects to pin 2.

I'm wondering if anyone else has fidgeted with this. On some buses I get feedback and I'm wondering if that is due to only having 1 wire and a shield. Also, does anyone know where one can source the 4-pin male and female jacks? I'd like to make some additional cords as a backup.

Pins 1 and 4 are "trigger" connections. IDKWTF that means. I guess they're in case your mic has buttons on it that make the receiver do something. It must not be anything to do with "push to talk", and them not connected is definitely not why you're getting feedback. You're getting feedback because the volume of the mic through the speakers is too loud where the mic is. ;)

A push to talk button is not a bad idea at all in this situation, but if your mic has an on-off switch it's almost as good.

Also consider for a moment that those "cheap crappy" mics that are designed for those systems are kind of deliberately band-limited in order to amplify more of the important parts of a human voice while rejecting things like rumble and road noise and whatnot. I'm honestly not sure that a "better" mic really gets you a better overall experience.

Mouser probably has the connectors you're looking for, though I'd probably search Amazon first.

Back