Tube buffer for my CD player!

Gost22

Hello everyone!
I need a schematic or project for a good stereo tube buffer with ecc88 (6922; 6dj8) or 12au7(ecc82).
With this tube buffer I want to connect my CD-player to the input of my stereo hi-fi audio amplifier 2x80/4ohm.
Thanks for your help!

Hello everyone!
I need a schematic or project for a good stereo tube buffer with ecc88 (6922; 6dj8) or 12au7(ecc82).
With this tube buffer I want to connect my CD-player to the input of my stereo hi-fi audio amplifier 2x80/4ohm.
Thanks for your help!

In dietie's name why?! The ECC82 especially will add considerable distortion. The output of CD player should be at a very low impedance and surely of sufficient level?

If you DO need few dBs of boost use each side of an NE5532. Noise about -110dBu and distortion unmeasurable with any kit we/you can get our hands on!

Dave.

The original made for such a purpose by PAIA is very nice. I read the review in Electronics Now magazine back in 1994 and built it shortly there after. I still have it and still works great. It uses a pair of 12ax7/ecc83 tubes, which IMO are more suited to the task. JJ Tesla ECC83S tubes are my favs for this device.

PAiA - 9305KEN HiFi TubeHead Kit, Vacuum Tube Preamplifiers, 9305KEN

You can also download the Tubehead manual and schematic here and build it from scratch if you like.

PAiA Corporation Manuals - Analog Synths, Theremins, Preamps, and More

Beck, I still have that (I think you're right it was Electronics Now) issue lying around somewhere with the build artice. It was JOhn Simonton that designed it. He has an explanation of "starved plate" in there and why/how it does what it does. I think PAiA isn't quite what it used to be with him gone, but it's still a pretty cool place.

Last edited:
Hello everyone!
Thanks for your help!

What CD player? What amplifier? What speakers? My money says you'll get more improvement by addressing your existing components than by putting tubes in the signal path.

Beck, I still have that (I think you're right it was Electronics Now) issue lying around somewhere with the build artice. It was JOhn Simonton that designed it. He has an explanation of "starved plate" in there and why/how it does what it does. I think PAiA isn't quite what it used to be with him gone, but it's still a pretty cool place.

Funny I still have that issue of Electronics Now as well... one of the few I kept. I agree, Simonton and his designs were great!

A unity gain tube buffer will do nearly nothing. If you want to hear what tubes sound like then you need to let the buffer do more than just buffer, it must suply some gain. But on the other hand you will not gain without distortion.

What is your goal? There are a few options depending on what you are trying to do.

This fellow has been posting all over the internet for a couple of years now, asking the same question again and again. Answer is, he has no idea what he wants, there are no goals.

tube buffer sa ecc82

This fellow has been posting all over the internet for a couple of years now, asking the same question again and again. Answer is, he has no idea what he wants, there are no goals.

I need tube buffer or something like preamp with ECC82.
Thank you!

Attachments

• BVCIR3.jpg
    BVCIR3.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 439
Back