Trident Audio Series 8T PSU

javier90mfc

My band was lucky enough to acquire a Trident Audio series 8T but unfortunately it did not come with the original power supply. I was wondering if anybody had any information on custom power supply units for this specific model. Is it easy for a technician to do it or does it take special work? Is it easy to get a custom ordered psu versus the original psu?

Any information would be helpful and thank you in advance!

Here is a picture of the back of this console. There is a six pronged input in the back. Am i missing a complete PSU or am i missing a cable that connects the PSU to the input in the wall?

IMG_2824.JPG

Hi,
You're missing a complete PSU. This is certainly not looking for mains power!
With the 6 pin arrangement the original power supply most likely puts out several different DC voltages.
Do you have access to schematics/manuals or, better yet, can you find literature on the original PSU?

Unless you can find an original PSU for sale somewhere, you're going to need to know for certain what the original power requirements are.

If you knew the above you could even shop for PSUs from other consoles (with matching specs) and consider modding the output connector to match what you have.

Hey and thank you for the information. Here is what John Oram and his associates told me:

"Please note that this is a very low noise power supply for audio use
specifically designed for your console.
If you are thinking of powering by some
other means then we cannot guarantee the noise performance or reliably of this
console.
Most of all, avoid using switch mode supplies.
You need about 4 amps
on the +/- 18 v rail and 0.5 amps on the 48V"

They were also very helpful in supplying me the specifications for the pin in and outs, attached in the image.T-Series - Power Connections.jpg

Hopefully this can help anybody that is in the same boat I was in.

I have a company based in UK called 'Blue Dog Power Supplies' that can build a PSU much cheaper than what John Oram is asking. However, if anybody has any manufacturer here in the US that would be appreciated.

Thank you again for the support and advice.

Pop over to www,soundonsound.com and ask there. You might be lucky and someone have a spare, in any case I would put money on someone having intimate knowledge of the mixer.

18V at 4 amps comes under the heading of a "medium" PSU but should be fairly simple to make with 317s and a current booster transistor. Get yourself a copy of Small Signal Amplifier Design by Douglas Self. That will tell you all you need to know about mixer PSUs!
And I would take Self's advice and design for + and minus 17Volts.

Dave.

Back