Special TRS adapter Wiring for A&H ZED 22FX F/SWITCH FX MUTE 1/4" socket for Aux;

Thrip

Special TRS adapter Wiring for A&H ZED 22FX F/SWITCH FX MUTE 1/4" socket for Aux;

On an Allen & Heath ZED 22FX analogue mixer there's 3 Auxes (with 1/4" TRS jack sockets) -and below that there's an "F/SWITHCH FX MUTE Jack socket, (-to the immediate left of the little blue power light).

The mixer's user manual reads; "Footswitch connection Standard 1/4" (6.25mm) Jack socket for use with a foot-switch. Wired so that a switch closure between Tip and Sleeve will activate the effects mute circuitry to cut the effects return (and ST4) from the main LR mix and the Aux 1 & 2 sends"

Allen & heath advertise this mixer as a 4 bus mixer, having FOUR Auxes, -but the 4th is actually an internal FX bus.

I don't yet understand electronics well, -but I've been told that by re-wiring a TRS cable, (-I suppose something like the jumpered "Hosa-Doc 106" direct-out insert cables that I would use in the mixer's Insert points to record with, -as this is principally a performance mixer with no direct outs other than the Mains), -that I would be able to also use this jack socket for another sort of Aux....

-Can anyone tell me if there's any credence to this "jury rigging and/or jury building" claim ?

If so, would anyone please tell me as to the wiring of said adapter cable ?

I wouldn't be inclined to mess with the mixer itself, (under warranty etc.) but this would be just a simple matter of using a differently wired TRS adapter cable.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Thrip

What makes you think that it's a TRS jack? I mean, it only ever talks about the T and the S...

What do you intend to do with this? Do you actually want a way to switch the FX on and off remotely? You're not thinking that this is a way to hijack that buss for something else, are you?

If you really want a switch, then do what the book says! Wire up a switch that connects T to S when you switch it. A quick way to half-ass it would be to cut one end off of a standard (TS) instrument or speaker cable, strip it, and touch the inner conductor to the shield braid.

Back