someone make a DIY guitar cab..

Whenever I get teh DIY bug I go to your site for inspiration then realize my close enough attitude isn't good enough for DIY so I pay someone to do it properly for me. You're keeping the economy ticking over.

mikeyhasnobones, thanks :) !
rayc, as far as DIY stuff goes - attitude is the key, (for me so, anyways), it's almost all about momentary excitement of making something that you have no idea how it may come out. Another words, if I'd had and follow some "plan" and was trying to meet some specific set of expectations, then I would not be able to deal with it.
Also, a part of DIY is about getting it done improperly and being very happy with the result at the end :)... something that no money can buy :D

/respects

I've been curious about this -- how much science goes into these things? Are the boxes tuned in any way? That is, is there an optimal volume / shape / speaker layout given the frequency range you want? From here, it looks like it would be no harder than building a nice-looking, thoroughly glued wooden box.

...how much science goes into these things? ...
As much as one is willing to let go into "things".
From me personally into my "things" exactly zero of "science" went, yet I did not try to cut corners on glues.
Also, science always was, is and will be for sale. The things you make do not have to be :D

From me personally into my "things" exactly zero of "science" went, yet I did not try to cut corners on glues.
Also, science always was, is and will be for sale. The things you make do not have to be :D

Excellent. Good glue joints I can manage. What glue did you use? I have plenty of Titebond left over from a furniture project.

I especially like the natural-wood look. You just don't see that in the usual store-bought cabinets.

the problem with "wood" finish is that it isnt very tough, and looks like $hit when its all scratched up. i suppose there are some varnish's that are pretty tough (like the stuff used on a bar), but some of that can be a trick to apply and have it look worth a crap.

the problem with "wood" finish is that it isnt very tough, and looks like $hit when its all scratched up. i suppose there are some varnish's that are pretty tough (like the stuff used on a bar), but some of that can be a trick to apply and have it look worth a crap.

Fair enough. Better in a studio setting. I was thinking some of the hardwood-flooring finishes out there might work ok, but these things tend to be made from softwood, so I bet you'd still get cracking and so forth with any abuse.

... What glue did you use? .
Some ELMER'S Crpenter's Wood Glue. I've used internal brace+glue+screws(from inside through brace) "type" joint method for the 2x8 pine cab. For the leather covered 2x5"+2x10" cab I've done it in combination of brace and just screws through and glue (it's a combination of material also).
I've built those cabs specifically to be used in studio with couple of low power tube amps I've built (about 5W or so). Not for the road, that is. This things are "IN DOOR Only!" kind :D

Pine is easy to work with, it's also very soft, but I have to say that 2-3 coats of Minwax Polyurethane if done right creates a really nice and pretty tough surface. Again it's not for outdoors use.
Of course there are hundreds ways to finish wood. Use your imagination :)

And, btw, NOTHING is forever. ;)

elicantu, THANK You! :)

BTW, dr zee, none of what i posted was intended as an insult... i, too, think your cabs look very nice. OTOH, my limited experience (lessons learned) with trying a "natural" finish on a cab eventually went so wrong that i covered it in aerosol bed-liner spray, if that tells you anything. but it was (is) a large heavy cabinet, that i wasnt particularly easy on over the course of that finish's lifespan. i used polyurethane, and every little scuff showed.

The most important thing about building a guitar cab is pay no attention to the impedance rating of the speakers, or "matching" them to your amp head. What the heck does an amp head know about your guitar cab? Did it design your cab? Did it select the fine Corinthian leather finish?

And also wire them up however the spirit moves you. The wiring between the speakers should be just as much a work of art as the finish on the cab. One I added so many wires, it looked like a spider web. So I connected the amp head directly to the middle of that web; it was beautiful, man. Just beautiful.

BTW, dr zee, none of what i posted was intended as an insult....
ah, I didn't take anything as "insult", see nothing "insulting" in what you are saying, really. Nevertheless, thanks for a note, it's true that words on b-board can be taken as not intended.

Also, I've been into entertainment for pretty long time and it's all good :) , in case anybody feel like "insulting" something for what ever reason, I say: "Fire At Will", make your own day, cap' :D

Attachments

• fire_at_will.jpg
    fire_at_will.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 149
The most important thing about building a guitar cab is pay no attention to the impedance rating of the speakers, or "matching" them to your amp head. What the heck does an amp head know about your guitar cab? Did it design your cab? Did it select the fine Corinthian leather finish?

And also wire them up however the spirit moves you. The wiring between the speakers should be just as much a work of art as the finish on the cab. One I added so many wires, it looked like a spider web. So I connected the amp head directly to the middle of that web; it was beautiful, man. Just beautiful.
Speaker(s) impedance, speaker(s) power rating and speaker(s) wiring has nothing to do with building a cab PER SAY. It has everything to do with SELECTING the right speaker or speakers and wiring them correctly to be used with specific amplifier. It is VERY importand technical issue, but it is a separate issue.

Also, Mash, I mean, Mr. "Hilarious", you may think you are cute, but you are rather just as ugly as troll can get. Now, please, would you go back to your smelly cave and never come back, will you? ;)

/later

Here's mine

Here is the link to the article I used. Three cheers for that guy. I'm gonna do a 4*10 one next.

http://colomar.com/Shavano/stereocab.html

I found the recessed handles, carpet, ports, and corners online at Parts Express.

and some pics

His web page has a load of construction DIY's!!

I will post more stuff later. I have done some guitar mods too.

Attachments

• Speakerbuild1.jpg
    Speakerbuild1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 147
  • speakerbuild2.jpg
    speakerbuild2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 147
  • speakerboxsmall.jpg
    speakerboxsmall.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 147
  • speakerbuild3.jpg
    speakerbuild3.jpg