SM57 impedance cable mod, 48v OK?

Why does this forum appear to want to discourage someone from trying something.

I'm certainly not trying to dissuade anyone from trying the mod, or any experiment. I'm only commenting on the article itself and how they conducted their experiment. It doesn't lend credibility to their claim of actual improvement or difference, only a perceived notion of improvement. And it's cool darscuzlo could set it up so quickly and get results. I see nothing different between the two graphs which goes towards the point that the students will say whatever the instructor wants to hear. :rolleyes:

I see nothing different between the two graphs which goes towards the point that the students will say whatever the instructor wants to hear. :rolleyes:

Seriously?

I'm not making any suggestion about better or worse but the graphs are not the same.

Seriously?

I'm not making any suggestion about better or worse but the graphs are not the same.
There is no 'useful' difference in those graphs. If you averaged out the spikes, they would be nearly on top of each other. Except for the 15 db push darscuzlo mentioned.

What am I missing?

There are plenty of spots on that graph where there's as much as 10db difference between the two lines.
That's bound to be audible, right? I mean, really the OP is the person to answer that question - He has the mp3s.

Like I say - good/bad/so subtle it's hard to tell...I don't know.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong..fair enough.
I just think if you can't prove something with speculation and loose stories, you can't dismiss it with those either.

I think there is a lot of noise in the data at 600hz and below. Not noise as in room noise or floor noise, but data collection noise. The blue graph shows a 35db drop going from 80hz to 90hz. I don't think that actually happens. Is the moving voice coil and diaphragm so sensitive that it will resonate at 80hz and not at 90hz? I don't think so, but I could be wrong. I think the data points need to be averaged out for 600hz and below. If you do that, the overall results between the two graphs will be more closely aligned.

Darscuzlo's graph doesn't show if the mod is an improvement or not, but it doesn't show the "sharp high freq peaks" the author claimed was annoying, nor does it show a difference in that region of the spectrum. And "open and airy" are subjective terms which can come from mob mentality psycho-acoustics.
:D

mob mentality psycho-acoustics.
:D
To be honest man the only reason I'm pursuing this, apart from a genuine interest in the topic, is that any opposition so far is just that.

I think there is a lot of noise in the data at 600hz and below. Not noise as in room noise or floor noise, but data collection noise. The blue graph shows a 35db drop going from 80hz to 90hz. I don't think that actually happens. Is the moving voice coil and diaphragm so sensitive that it will resonate at 80hz and not at 90hz? I don't think so, but I could be wrong. I think the data points need to be averaged out for 600hz and below. If you do that, the overall results between the two graphs will be more closely aligned.

You may well be right but I just don't think your speculation or decision to average or discount things is any more valuable than the article writer's.
I'm not having a go at you or anyone else but I don't think the 'why are you wasting your time' philosophy serves anyone well, least of all the curious and seemingly diligent OP!

I've no idea what data collection noise means but even if you're right there are still clear peaks in the original at 3k and 6k which don't seem to be present in the altered line.

If (and I mean if) manufacturers use a similar, or the same, method in their preamps then I'm inclined to think there's something to this.
I don't know for sure that they do, but I know for sure I've used variable impedance preamps and been surprised to hear a pretty clear difference between settings.

And hell...If there's a way to make my re20 sound nice through my main preamp, I'm in! :p

What I saw in the overlay is that the very top end drops at around 16k or so but it's already past the advertised high freq. range of the mic. To me there is no audible difference between the two (except for the gain drop) and the graphs kind of point to that. Having said that, I'm 57 years old and my high freq. sensitivity tops out at 13khz.
My feeling is that any changes (and I love those catchy nebulous phrases in the adverts like "vibe" "character" and my personal favorite "mojo")
can be done with some EQ.

Why does this forum appear to want to discourage someone from trying something. What better way to learn what something does than actually trying it? The lack of willingness to experiment and try things is what's wrong with a lot of the younger generation, they rely too much on needing someone else telling them how to do things. Look at some of the newb questions that show up here and you scratch your head with wonder how they'll survive in life without someone holding their hand for guidance.
Kudos to darscuzlo for his lab experiment!! :)

It's not 'this forum' that's trying to discourage anyone. It's one or two members (including me) who question the value of this particular endeavour. It's a presented in a gosh-amazing pseudo-scientific way, and is a solution to a non-problem. Why go complicated when simple is so readily at hand?

I do agree that problem-solving skills seem to be lacking more and more, and that we should encourage more tinkering, more exploration, more risk-taking.

And yes, 'Kudos to darscuzlo for his lab experiment'. At least he is willing to explore.

Back