RF interference - in the pedal or in the guitar?

pikingrin

what is this?
I just finished my latest pedal build, good old number seven, and I've noticed something that I haven't ever heard before. Clear RF interference. BUT it's only when the tone knob on my beater basement guitar is turned to 0. Said basement guitar is an Epi LP Special II that I modified with all new electronics (except the ground wire from the bridge) and has CTS pots and a single Dimarzio Air Norton humbucker on it, among other things.

When I finish a pedal build, I test with the basement git and the crap Epi amp that came with it - if it sounds half decent on that PoS then I'm happy and I take it to the music room and plug it into a real amp. Well, tonight, I noticed that when I rolled my tone knob all the way off then I got a local radio station in a weird way. Haven't had anything like that since when I was a youngster with a SS Crate amp back in the day. I know for sure the wiring is correct in the pedal and the guitar; the guitar is shielded with aluminum in all cavities and the backside of the pickguard and I've verified continuity with my MM on the shielding.

The pedal is a clone of a vintage fuzz circuit, a Mosrite Fuzzrite clone, and it sounds badass through the crap test gear, with the exception of when I have the tone rolled off completely. Does that ring a bell with anyone as to an obvious problem that I may be overlooking?

Maybe try a shielded input output wire
With gnd only attached at one end.
Google is your friend

Back