Presonus MP20 with a finnicky power switch

famous beagle

I have a Presonus MP20 (2-channel mic pre) that works fine, but sometimes when I press the power button to turn it on, it's unresponsive. I'll have to kind of push the side of the button, and then it'll come on. Once it's on, it works perfectly for the duration, so I'm pretty sure it's just a faulty switch issue.

I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with this type of thing and knows whether it's better/easier to fix the switch (would Deoxit help?) or just replace it.

Here's a picture of the switch so you know the design I'm talking about.

Thanks!

Attachments

• MP20 switch.jpg
    MP20 switch.jpg
    970.4 KB · Views: 53
I have a Presonus MP20 (2-channel mic pre) that works fine, but sometimes when I press the power button to turn it on, it's unresponsive. I'll have to kind of push the side of the button, and then it'll come on. Once it's on, it works perfectly for the duration, so I'm pretty sure it's just a faulty switch issue.

I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with this type of thing and knows whether it's better/easier to fix the switch (would Deoxit help?) or just replace it.

Here's a picture of the switch so you know the design I'm talking about.

Thanks!

I would try DeOxit if it looks like the switch has an opening. Sometimes they are sealed so the contact cleaner won't work. Just make sure to let it dry completely before power up. And unplug it before you work on it.

Yeah, you may as well take a look as long as it's unplugged and you're confident about doing that kind of thing.

See what the switch is like. If it's in a sealed unit or if the contacts are exposed. Check the soldering to the contact points, if they're exposed and try to work some deoxit into the workings and give the switch a whole lot of toggling.

If you need to replace it, chances are it's an easy job.
Finding an identical replacement part may be tricky, but there are ways around that. :)

Back