Mod for Teac X7R and other X7 slow winds speeds

skywaveTDR

One of the most aggravating things is to fast wind a X7R and have to wait the 2.5 to 3 minutes to have it finish a 1800 foot roll of tape. Ha! Teac knew there was a problem and released technical bulletins to make some corrections. Well I use a different approach in application of the 30Vdc supply to the motors only in fast wind mode. Does this work you might say? Well both fast winds with my modification finished the same roll of tape at 58 seconds. I have taken a signal out of the logic that signals the reel motor drive that it is doing fast wind mode. This then goes through some resistors and transistors to invert the signal to drive a TIP107 transistor that then sends the higher voltage to the motors. There is a diode that maintains the 14Vdc supply at play mode on those motors and that prevents the feed of the 30 Vdc supply back to the 14Vdc supply. I have tested this deck and it is going through more tests but if you want to get your deck corrected for this problem, contact me.

Well the first of my mods is out there and only time will tell if the client likes it. I have a feeling that anyone who has sat through the slow wind speeds will find this less than a minute speed much better. I have obtained some further parts to build these kits. I just have to do the schematic and instructions. I think the idea will be well received once people find out how well these decks can work.

I would be concerned about tape stretching or breaking depending upon the age of the tape.Then there is the edge damage to consider when FF and RWD multiple times.But if the customer is happy...

With out looking at the unit and seeing one work you can not make these blind assumptions. The unit uses roller guides. There has been no tape in history that I have ever seen get stretched or break on a tape deck other than use with old brakes which I have warned people about. The fast wind will never cause that amount of force to damage a tape like that. Plus the X series decks are not likely to be used with wire recorder age tape but something at least from the 80's.

Another thing is that I would not release a mod if there was any danger to the tape or handling of it. I am no amateur at this.

Back