Mod Nano Compressor?!?!?

Disease8

Hi! I was wondering what I could do to mod my Nano Compressor and then possible my Nano Verb?

I bought the Nano Compressor for £20 on Ebay unfortunately I paid £60 for the Nano Verb brand new but I have used it a lot and found it to be usable in some situations but now I'm trying to get really top quality recordings done I don't want it in my signal chain! No point in running Focusrite Pre's through that!

I want to improve the Nano Comp first. Obviously the noise levels are rubbish and one thing I noticed when using it inserted on my Alesis io26 is it seems to make the signal rally quiet and weak taking away its oohmf!

Could it be as simple as replacing some components that maybe are wearing out as it was second and and it was made in 1996!!! Some capacitors maybe or some other internal component wearing out as they do?

I know lots of people will just suggest saving up for a RNC but even if I do that I want to get into modding and am learning so this is a nice DIY project to get me started before I move on to the Royer mod!

Thanks,
Dom.

well as far as wearing out that's pretty much limited to switches and pots... and electrolytic caps (the little can looking things)... on the one hand it's not worth the trouble but you said you wanted to learn some so... open it up and do a good visual inspection looking for bad connections and bad solderjoints... then write down the #s on all the chips so you can check for better... you may want to consider building a power supply to run both those from.. the factory supplies are one weakness...

If you can find a schematic somewhere you might think about updating the opamp IC's (I'm assuming that it is IC opamp based) and maybe replacing resistors with metal film, and tweaking the power supply -- especially this. It has a reputation for noise apparently and having 9vac in seems pretty low. I've read a couple of reviews that suggest it sounds better at "instrument level" (ie as a stompbox) than at 'line' level.

But then you could just gut the thing put one of these in the box:

Weak Joe Optical Compressor

Back