M-Audio BX5a pair with one bad tweeter - Need advice

beano44

Hey guys.

I have been a semi-professional musician for twenty years, but have never had a good pair of speakers. Pretty lame, actually.

Anyway, so I found this BX5a pair today for $50. Seems to work and sound fantastic, with the exception of one blown tweeter. I talked to someone about replacing the tweeters with a JBL pair, but she said they would be a little brighter. It would probably be minor, but it almost seems like sacrilege to do something other than M-Audio intended.

I honestly do not know what to do. Get the JBL's? Try and find a used original somewhere? Sell the good one, and part the crap speaker on Ebay and get something better? I just don't know.

Some people think the BX5a's are so-so, but I was liking what I heard today.

I should also say...if anyone has a good spare original tweeter and Paypal, name your price. }:^)

Hi there,
It most likely is the driver but it'd be worth checking to be sure.
I'd recommend swapping the tweeters between your two monitors to be certain.

A quick look on ebay suggests the price is about right for one working speaker - They aren't worth a whole lot.
If you like them that's cool, but I'm not certain a fix would be worth the trouble.

I did swap it...sounds great in the other speaker! So I am pretty sure a tweeter is all I need. If it was more, I wouldn't even consider it.

There's a free ads section here but I think you'd get better info and advice in the DIY section.

I've moved the thread to DIY now - You were in the gear reviews section anyway. :p

If you want to post an add too, do feel free. :)

Have you tried M-Audio (or Avid or whatever TF they call themselves this week) for a replacement tweeter? Or.

Are there any markings on the tweeter that give away its origins? Most companies buy in drive units, often they are made by someone like Audax and you might find an exact replacement that route. I see from the specc' that it is a "silk domed" tweeter so make sure any replacement is the same.

If you cannot find the exact model I strongly urge you to change BOTH tweeters for decent units. The HF source has a vast effect on stereo imaging and unless it is matched to close limits you will get an image shifting with frequency making it very difficult to localize instrument. In fact, 'twere me, I would not eff about and just buy two good quality tweeters and fit 'em!

The fact that the speakers might be a little less or more bright than standard matters not, you will get used.

Dave.

Thank you for the great advice, Dave. That is exactly what I am leaning towards. I can get replacement JBL's for cheap, and it seems like people like JBL tweeters. The store lady said they would be a little brighter, and this was my main concern, since I was really liking the sound I was hearing with the original.

So you really think the (slight?) change in brightness is nothing to fret about at all?

Sorry B I did not get a flag that you had replied.

I doubt the extra brightness would be an issue. Are the JBLs a mechanical drop in? You need to ensure that you get a completely airtight seal.

Dave.

Back