Home made software FreqGen using midi to generate frequencies for medical purposes

I am stuck with the accessing of the extended instruments because I don't understand the logic behind the bank selection and locations. I used Polyphone to look at some sound font files but that confused me more. The GM Synth has 128 instruments then a further bunch at funny locations making 188 in total although I can't find the list that gave me their bank addresses now which is a pain. The sample file that Coolsynth uses has 194 instruments. I can use Coolsynth that allows me to load sound fonts but how do I address the extra instruments is it simple by just switching banks and assuming the instruments start at zero and assume the other 66 instruments are in sequence from say bank 1 location zero? The bank switching doesn't seem that straight forward either as it requires three messages to get it to work.
It would be nice to have a way of knowing the location of each voice but I can't see a location in Polyphone when looking at the instruments other than the alphabetical order as they are displayed. Is there a way of finding out where the instruments sit?
At least I can now get notes close together because I have assigned the channels.

I have been reading that and several other descriptions but it is confusing. I also tried different values in the controller messages but no luck so I sent an email to the bloke that has the online tutorial like you suggested. I will see what happens tomorrow thanks.

Just for information I found that Polyphone, the free sound font file editor, shows the bank and instrument locations under the preset heading. I looked at the Fluid R3 SF2 file and the instruments are in order up to 128 and then they go all over the place. That is why I didn't have a lot of luck by playing with the bank address. The locations look like the bloke was spaced out when he positioned the instruments in GM midi.:facepalm: Some are on bank 8, one on 16, and others spread out all the way to bank 128. Now I know the addresses I might be able to select them.:thumbs up:

What's the deal with channel 10? I read it is for drums but I thought it was just a rule of thumb for musicians I didn't realise it had a physically fixed state in hardware/software. What can I do about using channel 10 for instruments like the others? Could I use channel 17 instead on the PC Synth since I have read that most PCs have 32 channels now?

Back