Emu 1820m Dock Repair..?

snatchman

Hello..It's been a long, long time posting..Had some medical problems, better now..! Anyway, I have the 1820m and for some reason it stop recording thru the line inputs on the back of the Dock but records thru the two mic/line inputs on the front..!..Anyone here familiar with the repairs of the 1820m? I know it's famous for the two caps going bad and I have had those replace about 9 years ago, so I guess it's started up again as I have some static issues also. I know, get another card. But I like this one and I've heard some of the new ones and unless you get up there in price nothing blows my 1820m out of the water..Anyone can change out the caps and see if this is causing the non recording issues..? I'll pay. Thanks..!

Sorry to hear you're having problems, but a little more detail might help?

Where are you in the world?

Have you got do you know the value/type of caps that are needed?

I'm in the UK & pretty handy with a soldering iron but if you're in the US, the shipping would be a lot?.

I love fixing things & helping people, but if the value etc of the caps can't be seen it would be very difficult to find out what they should be thanks to Creative discontinuing EMU?

Hope you find a solution?. :)

Ps, I have a 1616m so I know how people fall in love with EMU? :rolleyes:

+1.Would you be confident enough to open the unit for inspection?
Quite often capacitors will leak or bulge to let you know there's a problem.

Not always....but often. :)

Hey fellas. sorry about the delay to this question. Thanks for your input. I'm in USA..I opened the unit and I don't see any bulging caps..Funny, as I stated the two front inputs on the Dock was working but now just one is working..!..I tried other Cat-5 cables and still not working. Do you think this could be a driver issue..?..May be try re-installing drivers ?..As I stated , I can see signal into Patch mix but it's not making it back into Reaper..Funny that any input would be working at all, if it was software issue tho...Thanks..!

No pics? :o

About a year ago I bought an LR Baggs venue unit from Ebay (Second hand) & after a couple of gigs I noticed it was cutting out?,
So I opened it up couldn't see anything untoward @ first but I started just gently touching the components on top while looking underneath, & straight away I could see a bad solder joint (not dry, just loose!), So out came the soldering iron & a couple minutes later & the problem was solved & it's been working great ever since!, So sometimes it's not obvious @ first glance?. ;)

No pics? :o

About a year ago I bought an LR Baggs venue unit from Ebay (Second hand) & after a couple of gigs I noticed it was cutting out?,
So I opened it up couldn't see anything untoward @ first but I started just gently touching the components on top while looking underneath, & straight away I could see a bad solder joint (not dry, just loose!), So out came the soldering iron & a couple minutes later & the problem was solved & it's been working great ever since!, So sometimes it's not obvious @ first glance?. ;)

Hello..Sorry bout no pics..I'm trying to learn how on this phone of mine..Ok, ok si I'm a dinosaur..:laughings:..I'll try to get a pic tho..I did at one time wiggle the EDI cable near the Dock input and I could have sworn I saw signal flash on an armed track.! Could be wishful thinking tho..Do those connectors (female RJ-45 (?) go bad often..?

Hello..Sorry bout no pics..I'm trying to learn how on this phone of mine..Ok, ok si I'm a dinosaur..:laughings:..I'll try to get a pic tho..I did at one time wiggle the EDI cable near the Dock input and I could have sworn I saw signal flash on an armed track.! Could be wishful thinking tho..Do those connectors (female RJ-45 (?) go bad often..?

RJ45s are among THE most reliable connectors, can survive my size 12s! But you can get crap in the jacks. Look in with a light and a glass and check the contacts are clean, straight and that there is no debris in there.

After that there could be a dry joint on the jack pins on the PCB but be careful soldering same, easy to 'blob across'.

If those caps were replaced with anything REMOTELY decent they won't have failed in nine years. Thirty maybe!

Dave.

For all inputs? If so, this is a software setup issue. :)

Hello..All back inputs on the Dock not working.( Well, the inputs are actually working because I can see signal on Patch Mix. it's just not coming back out of feed into the computer).. One input on the front is working fine..I tried another cat-5 cable ( not the original style, yet some say regular cat-5 works) but it still didn't work. Maybe it's the female connector in the Dock that's bad..?...I was thinking software issue but I don't know now. Do you think reinstalling the Emu's driver may help.? Anyone ever have similar problems that reinstalling drivers helped.? Thanks..!
PS..I know plenty may say, just get another interface. At the moment can't..:eek:..Plus, if it's something simple like drivers or caps, I rather just keep it. It's not like I'd be getting a big nite and day difference in audio quality from what I'm hearing of the new interfaces.

"another cat-5 cable ( not the original style, yet some say regular cat-5 works)"

Careful! There are at least two different common RJ45 wirings plus the 'crossover' cable.

Dave.

What is your system?, When W10 was on offer for free I thought it would be good to get it as a lot of peeps were saying how good it was!,
BUT alac & alas it just took my EMU1616m further away from me?,, loads of things that were working fine in W7 now refused to function!,
So I installed Linux (Curiosity as much as a hunger for knowledge!!) as a dual boot & hey presto it worked again?, Then I decided to go back to W7 & it gave me back full functionality once more!!.

So they can put W10 back! (Lots of rude words here?):cursing:

Just thought I'd ask to fill the picture out a little? :)

PS, What Steeno said made me think as well? (post No9), But you've been using the interface a long time so Must know how to check the ins/outs???

Lucky you Jiff!

I too installed W10 and then found the drivers for the installed M-A2496. Worked ok but I lost the old Control Panel that is much more sophisticated than the sparse new one. Most of all you lose "Mon Mix" which allowed me to record any sound, BBC radio, YT etc going through the card.

Have spake similar words to yours! I reverted to W7 only to find the old CP gone forever!

If ANYONE has an old Delta driver CD please PM me?

Dave.

Sorry, is Patchmix computer routing/mixing/monitoring software?
If you are seeing signals there then the inputs work.

Sounds like a DAW routing issue then, where your DAW has lost it's I/O layout?

I don't know your hardware, though, so sorry if I've picked you up wrong.

@ Steenamaroo, Yes patchmix DSP is the routing/monitor/mixing interface which does take a bit of getting used to, mostly I've set up a basic session which I've saved & just use that, The FX are quite good I find although with Reaper my PC doesn't struggle very much at all?.:)

@ ecc83, Is there not an M audio forum to ask if anyone has the old drivers?, The Emu forum still has links & they're from 2010 :eek: may be worth spending some time on Google serching?

Good suggestion about the M-A forum Jiff. I dare say I am in there but will have to jump through the usual hoops re passwords!

There is of course the copyright issue? Many companies delete software and other information but, like dogs in a manger, jump on anyone that makes it available! Zillions of hours of old music has/will be lost because of this attitude.

Dave. Oh! FCS they give you this..AcXUClk6HMIOaZW5tgr2sTX10yMCPXdt 'activation code'. Never had that on ANY forum in 15 years! Got logged in. Funny forum, no 'New Post' box? Has a 'Shout Box' (???) use that.
Needless to say they do NOT get my real name and I am but 18 years old for THEIR forum purposes and born on April One! (I also have the post code of a derelict factory for nosey bstds that want my post code!)

Last edited:
Good suggestion about the M-A forum Jiff. I dare say I am in there but will have to jump through the usual hoops re passwords!

There is of course the copyright issue? Many companies delete software and other information but, like dogs in a manger, jump on anyone that makes it available! Zillions of hours of old music has/will be lost because of this attitude.

Dave. Oh! FCS they give you this..AcXUClk6HMIOaZW5tgr2sTX10yMCPXdt 'activation code'. Never had that on ANY forum in 15 years! Got logged in. Funny forum, no 'New Post' box? Has a 'Shout Box' (???) use that.
Needless to say they do NOT get my real name and I am but 18 years old for THEIR forum purposes and born on April One! (I also have the post code of a derelict factory for nosey bstds that want my post code!)

:D:laughings:

Sorry, is Patchmix computer routing/mixing/monitoring software?
If you are seeing signals there then the inputs work.

Sounds like a DAW routing issue then, where your DAW has lost it's I/O layout?

I don't know your hardware, though, so sorry if I've picked you up wrong.
Hello..Thanks for your reply..Emu 1820m > Win 7 64 > Reaper...Yeah, its getting into the inputs of the Dock but not seem to be making the trip out and into the Reaper inputs. Well except the one input on the front which puzzles me. Why is just that one working when the rest of the channels are set up the exact same way..!...:confused:..

Hi again snatchman,
Have you tried a new session?;Capture.PNG

The more I read the problem, the more it sounds like a routing one, If one input on the dock front is making it into Reaper but not the back dock imputs could it be that the dock inputs have become disconnected (Not physically!)but un-routed in the dock?,, Something that has happened to me quite a few times which is why I stick to my saved session!.

+1.
If you can see confirmation that audio, on all channels, is getting to Patchmix then you can rule out hardware completely, including cables.

Back