Downsized my enormous Mesa Boogie footswitch

thebigcheese

"Hi, I'm in Delaware."
I have a Roadster, which is a generally awesome amp in that it is like an analog modeling amp, but I am trying to squeeze all my pedals onto a PT Pro board and the amp's footswitch is just gigantic. I didn't want to go with a MIDI solution, as all the foot controllers are at least as big, and I didn't want to have to run 5 cables to the amp to control each of the five things I need to control (switching between the 4 channels and the solo function). Thankfully, it turns out that the part of the footswitch that isn't for channel switching is a bunch of straightforward latching switches, so I decided to just hack most of them off. Also had to flip around a couple wires to make the reverb switch activate the solo, which also meant I had to flip some wires there since that particular switch is wired backwards compared to all the others. All in all, a pretty straightforward mod that keeps things looking stock. As an added bonus, I only actually need four of the conductors in the 8-pin cable, so I can wire up a standard MIDI plug into the snake I use to get from the amp to the board, so I will finally only have one cable running from the board to the amp.

Attachments

• 921757_10100312923281105_518919530_o.jpg
    921757_10100312923281105_518919530_o.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 139
I understood exactly none of that!

:)

The moral of the story is, it now takes up almost half as much space, so I can fit it on my board. And because I'm not actually using all the connections made by the standard footswitch cable, I can now make it part of my 8-channel Mogami snake cable I use to run from the board to my amp (3 are for audio, 2 will be needed for the footswitch). Now I just need to build some jacks into my pedal board so everything plugs in at one spot!

Back