Do you have hearing aid ideas for my grandma?

TheComposer

Sup guys, well, I was wondering if there was some "hack" or DIY solution to fix my grandma hearing disability, she doesn't hear as before, and you need to talk kind of clear and loud sometimes, but she definitely can hear whatever is on a set of headphones.

So I was wondering if there was some solution so she could hear as before again, involving I don't know what, like headphones, bluetooth headphones, a DAW, a microphone, wireless transmitters, I don't know, just trying to be creative and see if there's a an easy fix.

I've bought some hearing aid on Ebay and even an specialized doctor told her exactly what she needed, but it didn't work.

Suggestions?, Be creative, any idea welcome, if it works, there's a prize for you (literally!!)

Get an over the ear type hearing aid that will allow you to tune it. Most now are bluetooth enabled. The tuning is usually done via a multi band EQ. When I sold Miracle Ear hearing aides about 10 years ago, they had 3 band up to 10. With the 10 band, some tuning and some patience I could tune the aids so the customers loved them and used them all the time (previous to my adjustments they hated them and never wore due to background noise too loud, restaurants too loud or they heard everything but the conversation at their table). I'm sure the technology has vastly improved but I would suspect with a 10 band EQ minimum you could manually tune her aids and she'll probably learn to love them.

It may sound a bit dumb but does she had a ear cleanup lately? I am not talking about bath routine or cotton swabs, but a DOCTOR wash. A few months ago I was feeling a bit deaf and went to a ear's doctor. After a quick examination he figured out that I was with a LOT of wax and proceeded an internal washing (it is done by flushing water inside the ear channel with a syringe and it takes only one minute). I left his office hearing everything sparkly and loud! this is the second time I do that procedure in my life. Just don't try to do it in home, because although it is kind of a 'simple' procedure it requires a practice to inject the water with the proper pressure that only a doctor knows and an excessive pressure can tear the tympanum.

Now, if she really is suffering of an audition loss I wouldn't reinvent the wheel. There is plenty of hearing aid equipment out there that can help without crazy efforts. They don't cost too much and there are several different models (intra auricular, supra auricular, etc) so if the model that the doctor suggested didn't work just try a different one. Different hearing losses and anatomical differences needs different solutions. Bring your grandma to a hearing aid shop and let her try the different models they have until she finds the one that fits her needs, I am sure that the person will be happy to help. Hearing aid became as simple as glasses nowadays and I am sure that you can figure out a solution for your grandma without the need of Gyro Gearloose intervention.

:thumbs up:

Bill L.

I'm gonna read what you said with time so I can clearly understand it, it's actually interesting, maybe I could contact you these days?

YanKleber

It's not dumb at all, as far as I remember, she hasn't been that often (or at all) with ear doctors recently, or have had a "professional" ear cleanup, I think she can do this at Costco if I'm correct, I'll check that out. And by the way, once there, she could maybe try some hearing aid models.

My dad uses hearing aids. After many years of messing about with cheapo units, he finally got a pair that cost about $1300 (paid for by the VA). He loves them. Now if he would only stop losing them.

He also likes his bluetooth over the ear headset for phone calls. Not sure which unit he has.

Back