DIY XLR panel/patchbay...

stepXinXtheXmix

Hey all... I'm throwing around some ideas to get the signal from my live room to my control room and am wanting to do it myself to save money.

The two ideas I have is:
1. to just to a XLR snake and go through the wall with a 2" PVC sleeve.
and
2. Install to XLR panels one on each side of the wall.

Has anyone done this or know for any other DIY threads with this info?

I assume you probably have soldering tools and stuff. If so, the most expensive thing you'll need is a chassis punch that's the right size. You'll never be able to drill holes that big, practically speaking. That will probably run you about $40. You'll also need a socket wrench to tighten down the punch.

I would also note that the size of punch for male and female XLR connectors is different, but if you get the smaller one, you can always file it out from there....

The size of the punch probably depends on whose jacks you buy. As for sites for buying punches, I suggest a Google product search.

Greenlee punches tend to be very well regarded and I recently saw a set at Lowes. However, they are EXPENSIVE. HarborFreight may have some cheaper ones.

I would recommend using Neutrik D series, simply because its very popular and its easy to find all kinds of jacks that will fit in D series holes.

Redco.com also does custom panels, FWIW, and offers some items that may be of interest. One thing I like is that they sell these: http://www.redco.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=146&cat=DP+Connector+Custom+Labeling+Plates

These are great if you don't want custom plates and would like to be able to switch things around later without having to have new custom plates made or too much fabrication.

If you're wanting to go the route of a traditional patchbay, I highly recommend a used ADC that has punchdown connections in the back. This will save you a ton of money on connectors. :)

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Greenlee punches tend to be very well regarded and I recently saw a set at Lowes. However, they are EXPENSIVE. HarborFreight may have some cheaper ones.

A Greenlee punch is the one I used for my patch panel. It worked very well.

Alternatively, I know many people who get it done at a trophy shop/engraver's. If you can create a scale image (digital) in black and white (say, in photoshop or a more tailored computer drawing program) and take it down there it's just a matter of selecting a panel type and they feed it to a laser cutter. Reasonably cheap, very accurate, and very professional looking. AND QUICK! Also, for a little more, you can get some bits half engraved (ie, Labels/channel numbers)

speakerrepair.com sells prepunched panels fro Neutrick "D" footprint jacks on ebay. 24 hole for about $20. They also sell D sized jacks for about $1/ if you buy in quantity.

At some point I need to get around to doing this myself....

Also, you could then use something like lazetran or letraset, etc to make the panel markings. Doing this is number 43 on my list.

See this link

http://www.nrgrecording.de/html/frontpanels.html

Last edited:
Back