DIY Vocal Shield help

jwparks87

So I recently finished putting together a DIY vocal shield, and I've run into an issue figuring out how to mount the stupid thing to my mic stand. It's a telescopic stand, and it's about a half an inch thick (I think). Any suggestions?

I've basically just wedged it between the mount for my pop filter and the mic mount. I then used some ties to tie the top of the shield around the stand itself (I used paint grids for the back of my vocal shield, so I was able to feed the ties through the grating). This way I can remove it from the stand when needed.

Here's the first attempt: bycE0Yf.jpg I didn't get a picture from the back, but this was the result of duct tape, a clothes hanger, and a small piece of metal I found laying around. I t was cumbersome, it never stayed still, and it was just generally awful.

This is the second attempt. All I used this time was a twist tie to secure it at the top of the mic stand. It sits pretty sturdily on the pop filter mount.EieRxX9.jpg

I would not mount the mic, the pop filter and the shield all on one stand.
Any time you touch the pop filter, it will transmit the vibrations to the mic.

I usually put the pop filter and shield (when I use on) on one stand, and the mic is on its own stand.

Also....I would pull the shield back a bit more (or move the mic forward. IOW....leave a little more space between the mic and the shield.

OK, I'm sure this is a dumb question, but what's the blue stuff? I guess you're gonna have to describe the construction for me in more detail.

Back