DIY Spring reverb

nate_dennis

Ok, so I'm convinced I want to build a reverb from scratch. I don't know a ton about electronics and if my preliminary research is correct, this should be a simple enough intro to building stuff. However, I have some questions.

1. running two piezo transducer to the output should give me increased volume on the output . . . right?:confused:

2. Would I need some sort of amplifier after the reverbs output to get the signal back into my FX loop? If so, would a passive DI box work?

3. If i were to engineer a way to make the driver speaker adjustable distance from the springs, would this increase/decrease my pre time?

Thanks guys.

This project seems very easy and is something I'd like to try:

http://www.homerecordingconnection.com/news.php?action=view_story&id=277

But there are a lot of variables not discussed, like:

1) How big should the box be? A foot long? 6 inches? Two feet?

2) What type of springs should be used? Tightly coiled ones like those in a Strat vibrato? Loose ones like a slinky? How many and how long? I guess you could experiment, which is why the top is hinged.

3) How powerful of a speaker? I'm guessing you'd need some kind of power amp to drive the speaker. Could you just use a headphone speaker and drive it with a headphone amp? Or would that not be loud enough to make the springs react?

If I did this kind of thing, I would most likely want to make a self-contained unit, with a fixed mic and fixed speaker both wired to jacks on the box. I think I have everything already (assuming a small speaker from a set of computer speakers would work or something) except maybe the springs.

Hmmm

All of those points are kind of where I'm at. I want to go somewhere in between a DIY Hi-Fi super immacutlate reverb and a trashy slinky-verb. I'm going to make it permanent with built in x-ducers and whatnot. I guess I"m goint to just experiment with springs and there reactions.

If you don't want to build directly from scratch the PAIA "Hot Springs" is a nice reverb. A Craig Anderton design. Uses two reverb tanks, and wires them out of phase to cancel some of the sproinginess of spring reverbs. I bought only the PCB from them years ago, and used springs I got somewhere else, but they only sell it as a kit now. However, the circuit is online at their website. Accutronics still sells new spring sets, some sets that are pretty long.

Back