DIY short mic stand (for use on kicks etc)

thebigcheese

"Hi, I'm in Delaware."
If you're like me, then paying $30-$50 for a shorter mic stand is obnoxious. But if you've got a bunch of $10 Musician's Friend mic stands lying around, then it's pretty easy to make yourself a mic stand that you can use for your kick, guitar cabs, or 1-year-olds. All you need is a fine-tooth saw, the kind that is designed for cutting metal. Just hack off the bottom of the pole and ta-da! It's worked pretty well for me so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 833
  • IMG_0210.jpg
    IMG_0210.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 835
If you're like me, ...
Good thinking! :cool:
heh heh, actually I'm worse than you :D , Yours looks like a Real Thing!, I still keep the "the base as straight mic stand. I've took the boom and attached it in crappy way using some junk to a wood block with mouse pad cuts glued on the bottom. see the first photo.
I've also used bases of cheap guitar stands to make up another "low-kind" stands. One for placing mic around the snare and the other for placing mic in front (pedal side) of kick (for a different effect) or for sticking mic where ever you may think of ..heh heh , see second and third photos. I've used some junky old cymbal stands parts. Junk rules! :D

Attachments

• cheap_kick_1.jpg
    cheap_kick_1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 353
  • cheap_kick_2.jpg
    cheap_kick_2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 360
  • cheap_kick_3.jpg
    cheap_kick_3.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 358
Good Ideas guys!

I've too "shortened" mic stands by cutting some tubing off, and yeah, it works great:)

I've found a better way (at least to me;)) to mic kick drums though, check it out.

Attachments

• 84.jpg
    84.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 341
  • 87.JPG
    87.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 346
  • 91.jpg
    91.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 341
You know, with that suspended one (from Nico2112), you could probably add a shockmount to it as well by putting some screws on the mic side and stretching rubber bands across (that's how we always repaired shockmounts for booms at school). I'm just thinking that since the mic is sort of attached to the drum, it might pick up a little of the vibrations, but then again it might not even matter that much. Just a thought.

I should try using rubber bands and see if it makes a difference.
For the time being, the sound I'm getting is what I aimed for:)

i ended up using this idea this weekend when i had a drummer in that set everything up very low. i couldn't get the snare mic in position with so much stuff in the way so i took my sawzall to one of those cheap mic stands. it's not about a foot and a half tall at it's shortest.

Back