DIY portable vocal booth

zbert

In the swamps of Jersey
OK, I built one of these a couple of weeks ago based on the ModTrap. I really wanted to have one of these based on the RealTraps PVB. I felt I did pretty good about the first one I made so I thought I'd give this project a go. This one was more involved but I do like it better that the ModTrap version. So here goes. Went to the local Home Depot and picked up some wood moulding for the fram and luan wood for the back.

Attachments

• IMG_2624.jpg
    IMG_2624.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_2625.jpg
    IMG_2625.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 455
I did a quick coat of black stain. I drilled holes for tee nuts and attached the frames to the backs.

Attachments

• IMG_2627.jpg
    IMG_2627.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_2628.jpg
    IMG_2628.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 433
I then covered a couple of pieces of 703 and placed them in the frame. Then I attached the two frames together with a piano hinge.

Attachments

• IMG_2629.jpg
    IMG_2629.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_2632.jpg
    IMG_2632.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 436
I used some aluminum that comes with holes. I should get a thicker
piece for better support. I enlarged one of the holes to fit over the mic stand and used two smaller pieces for supports.

Attachments

• IMG_2633.jpg
    IMG_2633.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 439
And the final product. With all thanks to Ethan for his design and great pics on his site so I could make this one. BTW the size of each panel is 24'X23". As I had some of the materials I think I spent about $40 on what I needed. I'll put up samples ASAP.

Attachments

• IMG_2634.jpg
    IMG_2634.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_2637.jpg
    IMG_2637.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 451
wow - that looks really good. Please do post samples. I'm not sure I totally get how it's affixed to the mic stand.

This approach seems pretty sane, and the skill level doesn't look too high (but, sadly, my woodworking skills are virtually non-existent).

While we're on the subject of DIY vocal booth-like things, let me confess in public for the first time that about 2 years ago, I bought some scrap auralex foam at GC, and cut it to fit inside a collapsible cloth/frame box that I got at the Container Store, and it really sounded bad - my tracks sounded muffled, just like I put the mic inside a foam lined box :o:D. I use it to store cables and shock mounts now, and it works pretty well for that :cool:

I'm in the process of moving into a new house, where it looks like I'll have my own studio room (!) - I'm reading posts like yours with more and more curiosity.

Thanks. As for woodworking skills mine are truly minimal. Just enough to get by. The way it attaches is easy. The frames are attached to an aluminum bar. A hole big enough is drilled in the bar to fit over the mount where the boom section attaches. The boom section holds the PVB to the mic stand. Check out realtraps.com. He has good pics of how to put theirs together. On my other post https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=278653 I have samples using that project. Should be about the same here.

Back