DIY Microphone kits?

mrface2112

Anyone have any experience with DIY mic kits? Namely those over at mic-parts.com? And specifically their tube mics?

No, but until a few days ago I didn't even know they existed. I plan to look into this much further and hopefully have an answer very soon.

Not sure what you need to know ? It's a box of parts. I'd say just pay attention to the displayed instructions and layouts before buying.

I had been interested in this one for a long time, but I can just run tubes on any old MIC.;
DIY Vacuum Tube Condenser Microphone Kit

You know how it goes - a dozen other things get bought

I've been over there a few times thinking about getting one but never did. The comparison listening tests were interesting. It's tempting to get something Neumannish that way. Still the Neumann does sound better to my poor ear. If I could describe it in a word more 'color'.

I don't have the technical skills want to risk building one myself at this point. I'd want to try building at least a couple of cheapie things before I tackled one of those, too much risk to pay that much and try to do something like that the first time round... If the little lighted $10 spectrum analyzer I picked up project goes well, and a few other things, then I might think about it.

That Aurycle thing's something I've never heard of before!

Attachments

• leddiy.jpg
    leddiy.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 174
  • leddiy2.jpg
    leddiy2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 21
hha. Love Music Lights - like a fireplace or aquarium. ha

Well, the kit is parts. One is free to use a better tube and paint the MIC like a EVH Kramer. One may have some old WIMA in the parts bin to substitute.

Yeah I am likin the blinken lighten.

Last time I tried to solder a pipe it didn't work out. Maybe I'll do better on the small scale.

Yeah I used to think about getting one of those. Well a cheaper one.

I wonder if Radio Shack is gone for good yet.

Buying the blowtorch for pipe soldering wasn't a waste even if it didn't work out. It's great for everything from toasting marshmallows to shou sugi ban.

I was introduced to breadboard through a NRI mail-order couse. RS let me expand my kit. Almost as important as hitting the bar on Friday.

Don't forget to torch the cream brulee

I dont know, RS is closing here, doing the 20% off then 40% off then 60% off then .....
but the one kid said theyre just moving the store somewhere else and more cellphone crap.

I need a old home phone system with a spare remote phone but then I thought, ALL SALES ARE FINAL means no refund if its defective so probably go to Best Buy or WalMart.

I did pickup some connectors like 1/4"headphone plug to dual 1/8" so my interface plug will stay tight.

news is stores closing as RS files bankruptcy.....but sometimes its bankruptcy allows it to reorg and stay alive.

Closing 200 stores of the 1300.

Maybe they could sell wing-tip shoe shine machines too...

RadioShack warns it could be lights out in Fort Worth by late May | Fort Worth Star-Telegram

thats a interesting DIY, I think it'd be fun and not take up too much room.

haha Ya, some will run through a dozen preamps and might of assembled a tube MIC instead. Ya, I still look, but I have a hard time seeing the big difference of a tube in the MIC vs tube in the amp. We have quiet components compared to the day of those early Telefunken components

well the tubes still in the electronic chain isnt it?
though LEo Fender spent his whole life trying to make the tube remain clean where it wasnt Hendrix's goal at all.
the ART MPA was a nice tube entry level thing.
someone said they bought the tube mics and it wasnt so huge a difference than the FET too.
im a broken record anymore but my theory is its the compressors all along that was doing the dirt everyone loves.

Well, tubes is a funny thing right now. Fender and Marshall need to sell amps and we can't go around suggesting new tubes suck : ) hahah If nobody makes them, it will really suck.

I did this mod....
The U87 mod for the Studio projects C1.

Studio Projects C1 Mods – Microphone-Parts.com

It sounds awesome now. Much smoother high end but still plenty of articulation and "air". The mod wasn't hard at all. Just have to follow the instructions (with pictures). You also have to have a small soldering iron as not to get the circuit board plastic too hot.

It took me 2 hours to do the mod because i was taking it very slow.
I could knock one out in an hour now

I did this mod....
The U87 mod for the Studio projects C1.

Studio Projects C1 Mods – Microphone-Parts.com

It sounds awesome now. Much smoother high end but still plenty of articulation and "air". The mod wasn't hard at all. Just have to follow the instructions (with pictures). You also have to have a small soldering iron as not to get the circuit board plastic too hot.

It took me 2 hours to do the mod because i was taking it very slow.
I could knock one out in an hour now

I am probably going to do one of these someday at this rate, got myself a DIY electronic's kit to fiddle with a couple days ago. Nice to hear success stories.

I was introduced to breadboard through a NRI mail-order couse. RS let me expand my kit. Almost as important as hitting the bar on Friday.

Don't forget to torch the cream brulee

That was a pretty good idea.

creme.jpg

To the OP, yes I have experience with several of their products (micparts.com), and I've been extremely pleased.

I first performed the SP C1 mod that jimistone referenced above, and it completely transformed the mic's sound. I couldn't believe the difference it made for $70. The harsh upper end was completely gone.

Next, I replaced the capsule in my Apex 460 mic with their RK-12 capsule, which also made a huge difference. I also replaced the grill basket with their grill. I plan on doing the full circuit mod to this as well.

Finally, I've just finished performing a complete mod on the MXL 990, including their RK-47 capsule, the circuit replacement kit, and the grill basket. I haven't had a chance to use this mic yet, but I'm excited to do so.

The kit instructions are second to none. As long as you have good soldering skills, you can't mess it up. They walk you through all the way with full color pictures.

I'll also add that their customer service has been excellent. The few questions I've had, they've always gotten back to me quickly (via email) and have been very helpful.

To the OP, yes I have experience with several of their products (micparts.com), and I've been extremely pleased.

Next, I replaced the capsule in my Apex 460 mic with their RK-12 capsule, which also made a huge difference. I also replaced the grill basket with their grill. I plan on doing the full circuit mod to this as well.
l.

There's a circuit mod floating around too, it's on my todo list, but you change out the tube to a 12AY7 and swap the transformer. You also have to mod the PSU.

---------- Update ----------

I highly recommend GroupDIY:

White Market

2nd that!!

Group DIY is a great source for DIY mic builds, kits and mods!! :)

I even managed to build a U47 following the original circuits with the help of group DIY and it sounds A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!

I bet it does! There's nothing like that vintage sound!

What I've started to have a bit of interest in lately is DIY synthesizers.

Back