DIY guitar isolation cab

pathdoc

Built this recently so I could record guitar without my ears bleeding.

iso_cab_nearly_finished.jpg

Features a 12 Eminence speaker with a built in Shure sm57 mic.
Door is not complete yet.

VERY INTEREST!! kudos indeed~

just a number of questions..

1 - i presume theres a door somewhere for access? if so whats the need for the glass? =P just for pure admiration!??! :p

2 - hows the foam performing? do you get much (A LOT) of reverb and room (box) sound? i find it hard to imagine in such an enclosed space you'll still get an open miced sound

3 - is there some sorta opening below the speakers for air flow? if so.. does it leak much sounud.. if not... how well is the speaker really performing...:confused:

dont mean to critise in anyway btw... i think its awesome for you to have done this

Thanks for your interest. The idea of glass would be cool but I never thought of that. The access door isn't mounted yet so the rectangular hole you are peeking through is the access door hole. The door once completed will obviously fill this splot. The inside of the cab is lined with Auralex foam leftover from my studio. Works and sounds fine. There is a port which allows air to move from behind the speaker into the main compartment where the mic is located. The space behind the speaker is filled with speaker fill/battling. Overall the little cab works great. Sounds fine to my ear. Soon I'll record something and post it for you to hear.

Your question about glass really got me thinking and I may make a translucent door for this cab. Pretty cool idea.

I wanna know more about the finish.
You mentioned at RP it's some sort of paint .... Hammer?
How'd you get it so ...... well beautiful?

It's a british made paint called Hammer-right. It's oil base and can be applied by a roller and dries quickly. Really gives a nice metallic finish. I've used it on all of my studio furniture.
Go to www.vinecrestaudio.com and go to studio pics. Scroll though and you'll see some of my other furniture builds finished with Hammer-right. You can find this paint at hi end hardware stores.

Last edited:
Cant wait for the recording!

with glass though u will DEFINITELY get a LOT of reflection.. with your original door idea you can pad the inside like the other walls to minimise that~

now i want to make one.. convert an old fridge... :rolleyes:

you could have two doors, kind of like how there are screen doors (except the "screen" would be the glass, and the glass door would now be a padded regular door). This way, when not in use you can still use the glass and have it look all nice, but then why have the glass when you could just keep it open... Regardless to the door situation, I look forward to hearing some clips!

Back